Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Narooma 6-13/01/08
catchnrelease
post Jan 14 2008, 12:35 AM
Post #1

*Bi Catch*

Group: Members

Member No.: 11

Well well, I'm back from a trip to Narooma, and I come back with some new experiences and captures, some sun burns, very little sleep and one hell of a time. It's always good to get out down south, and although the fishing wasn't too crash hot (with no help from the weather either!), it was a lot better than last year!

It all started last Sunday, we got out pretty late and hence arrived in the late afternoon, met up with Rod Stokman at Batemans on the way there and grabbed some tackle and info. After unpacking, the whole family fished the Wagonga flats for a few baby bream and tailor (amongst other things) on nippers, I just wanted to relax, no serious fishing was intended. Narooma sure is beautiful.

The next morning was spent fishing the early morning on the flats in Wagonga inlet...there were NO SIGNS OF LIFE! Tried everything for nought, but, all of a sudden a big something (probably a ray) picks up my lure and steals almost all my line before...ping! Now I need new braid, I can't fish with only 30 metres of line left. That was a real pain in the arse, but oh well.

We then went to a special spot in Tuross River in the afternoon, and guess what dad breaks my favourite rod with the car door of all things! Everything was going wrong tackle wise today. The broken rod really put a dent into my session and made fishing tough. But, I continued with the 10lb outfit. I hooked up to a smaller ray that gave a little tussle, and saw some of the biggest whiting ever! Spewing that I didn't take any poppers! Tried to get them on SP's (all I had on me) but little bream, toadies and tarwhine beat them to it everytime. Next time.... I also forgot the camera, it's a beautiful area and one that produces...how do I know? Because Stuart Hindson fishes there.

Then went beach fishing in the evening, nothing really doing, the beach was pretty bare, there were barely any gutters. HOWEVER I managed a crap load of little mullet. The picture is the average size (tiny ay? rolleyes.gif ) but I did get 2 or 3 legals, one which I cut up and chucked back out in hope of something bigger. No body else on the beach seemed to be catching anything by the way, they were all shuffling closer to me and studying my technique as I was pulling in the fish, albeit small ones hahaha. At least I was catching fish, almost every cast pulled up fish. rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

Tuesday morning was spent on my favourite charter, we caught some bait including a few slimies mixed with the yakkas. One of the little guys (around 12-13yrs) hooked up on old squid, a short while later, a very tired little boy brings a thumper 86cm king on board! I don't think he caught another fish though hahaha. The sight of the king told me to grab the brand new Duo Drifter/Applause combo and down went a live yakka...waiting...waiting...waiting...thump! zzzzz! Hooked up to something, I managed to get it up without too much trouble. A nice ~60cm king was boated and the new outfit was blooded. I was at the front of the boat (bow I think?) so going down to the deck to get a piccie was too much of a hassle in the big swell, and he was only little too, so he went back in no time. My hopes were high for something bigger. rolleyes.gif ;) We do some more drifts around Montague Island and some trolling, but nothing serious for me. I manage to boat some assorted species like rock cod (some thumpers too!) and sweep (kept one to see what it tasted like), but apart from that I was struggling. Short while later, thump! zzzzzz! This time on the 20lb outfit. This time an even smaller king was boated, it went around the 50cm mark. Ah well, that's two more kings than last year and let's not forget that at any size they still pull bloody hard! At least I came good in the last few minutes before full time, pulling in a nice snapper for the table. I also kept some slimies for both bait and for the table. ;)

We enjoyed the rest of the day around Tilba Tilba, just looking around with the family, enjoying a nice lunch and buying little things like cheeses, candy and crafts. These little towns have ripper food! I love free samples lol. Went back home to just lounge around, and have a nap...was a bit buggered from the past few days. The family sat down that night to a fresh seafood meal. The rock cod was delish with a béchamel sauce as well as the snapper cooked whole with various asian spices. The slimy mack and sweep was surprisingly good if fried lightly and crispy. biggrin.gif

Slept in a little bit on Wednesday as there was no charter on, totally booked out across the whole area! However we did pump some nippers in the arvo and hired a tinny to motor around Wagonga. It was pretty fishy everywhere even though they were all basically just undersized bream and snapper, but my mum managed a nice bream. smile.gif

As soon as it went back in the bites stopped and we had to move. Unfortunately all we got for the rest of the day were undersized fish. Sat down that night to pizza and rigged up for the following charter trips for the next three days.

A a side note, I managed to convince my dad to pick up a new rod to replace my broken Black Diamond, a Strudwick Sic Stick Pro 7' 1-3kg. A very nice rod, I also picked it up for a scamp $140...marked down from $280. I think Strudwick has gone out of buisiness or something.

On Thursday I went out on another charter, but the results were pretty ordinary. It started badly with no live bait showing up which meant we had to use old frozen stuff, and sloppy weather stopped us from fishing the best spots. I only managed a few sweep, a leatherjacket and a few sand flathead. Nothing really exciting, a few rat kings were landed by other blokes but apart from that it was slooooow going. However we did have some fun with the big rays at the cleaning tables, with the tide a bit high they weren't afraid to poke their heads out of the water for a hand feed of scraps. Gave a few a pat on the head...they are very very slimy but very docile.

The days catch in a bucket of blooooood...

Up close and personal with the big rays.

Spent the rest of the day resting, the past days of non-stop fishing had caught up to me. The family went to some beach (I forget its name) and saw a guy fishing and they say he caught what looked like a rat salmon and that was it.

Friday provided very poor weather, it forced most of the charter operators to cancel their trips in the morning, including mine. Not to be deterred, I went back to the cabin and rigged up for some bream in the golf course lake. There were a heap of fish around, mostly rats but the odd OK model...but all of them were extremely spooky. Gave up after about two hours and went back to have a real breakfast.

In the afternoon we all decided to hit Wagonga and fish land based. Tried poppers at first but the wind was making the surface too choppy and made accurate casts near impossible, I lost my Rebel Pop-R thanks to a sudden gust of wind blowing the lure right into a mooring rope. :mad: However, once I found the fish I absolutely nailed the bream, the first few were on nippers but I quickly changed to SP's and they couldn't get enough of the Gulp! New Penny 2" Sandworms, but they were all little runts like the one below. For some reason the Wagonga flats fish better in the afternoon than the morning? Or at least for me. rolleyes.gif

We also managed to find a Blue Swimmer crab swimming about. We managed to scoop it up for a snack. Very tasty.

There was also a huge storm front showing up in the evening, just outside our cabin hovering above Montague Island. Amazing to watch the clouds sweep in and move out to sea.

Saturday was my last opportunity to go out on a charter, unfortunately like the Friday the weather prevented us from going out. :mad: So I decided to hit the beach just down from the caravan park. Third cast...tap tap tap...on. Felt like another little mullet, but instead a baby salmon of around the same size. I was using the slimy macks from the first charter trip. More hours past, more little hits. Hooking up to that size fish is hard with 3/0 hooks. A local dropped by and informed me that he had caught some 3-4lb salmon a few days ago, so they were around. Again, more bait went out, more taps then THUMP. Missed it. More bait, more taps and THUMP again, but this time it stuck. After some tense moments fighting the fish in the churning waves, a beautiful salmon was in my hands. Would've gone a touch more than 3lb I rekon. biggrin.gif

Spent the rest of the day pumping nippers and amusing myself with the undersize whiting and bream that hung around the clouds of sand we puffed up. We then went to a spot a local butcher informed us of a special spot that works just prior to low tide. Unfortunately the weather then turned for the worst with high winds, rain, thunder and lightning forcing us to retreat back to the cabin.

And finally, today came. I spent the morning at the beach again. Managed a small salmon of around 35cm but had to cut the morning short to pack. No pictures, the camera was stowed away somewhere or other in the car.

So that was my trip, it was a lot better than last year but I am still to relive the antics of 2006, that was a trip indeed. However the fishing was still good, a lot of fish albeit not too many big ones. The salmon was a highlight and any kingfish is a good one in my eyes. tongue.gif

Cheers,
Alex

P.S. I'll post up some more pictures later, stupid thing limits my amount of pics.

--------------------
DANCE!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jasonb
post Jan 14 2008, 12:44 AM
Post #2

the wizz kid

Member No.: 9

good one mate sounds like ya had a good time ,except for the rod ,,,oh by the way you still had more page to write on if ya though tit was a bit short of a story lolololo tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
allways in the shit ,its just the depth that varies

+Quote Post
Majed
post Jan 14 2008, 12:50 AM
Post #3

*TheUnderTaker*

Member No.: 5

Good report mate...looks like you all had a great time....well done... smile.gif

--------------------
FISHING beats Working

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jan 14 2008, 12:56 AM
Post #4

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

Well done on report left some tips in shoutbox for you.

It's a bummer when you go away & the fish dont want to co-operate but @ least you got a few

Just one Q ???

Did the sweep taste like crap ??? laugh.gif

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
Bees Knees
post Jan 14 2008, 01:45 AM
Post #5

Twoeyesea

Member No.: 1,659

Nice report and photos.

My favourite part of the coast pal. I'm down there from Saturday for a week. Family and fishing. Cant wait biggrin.gif

What charter where you going out in(or trying to) dry.gif

In my limited experience.. the flats, on a low, in the afternoons have landed me some quality biggrin.gif

--------------------
Don't hate me, cause you ain't me... :)

+Quote Post
CATCH22
post Jan 14 2008, 03:15 AM
Post #6

*Telescopic Stick*

Member No.: 8

nice pics looks like another good trip thats what lifes all about experiences im off with me mate sumo to awoonga dam long way but if never ever go youll never ever know ...barra here we come ..ahhaha keep up the posting well put togehter

+Quote Post
Fed
post Jan 14 2008, 10:43 AM
Post #7

*Mr Shiny Head*

Member No.: 7

Well done C&R it was like reading a book, I was wondering what was going to happen next.
What did the sweep taste like?

--------------------

SEAFARER: Fine as a Fairy's Fart

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Jan 14 2008, 02:20 PM
Post #8

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 13

Hey Goldfish, thats a great story, don't ever give up writing them, Just a couple of tips though! shorten your story and write two or three different versions, including all that you have tried to put in one, and try to finish with the climax
( highlight of the story) a couple of stories makes for better reading and doesn't tend to get boring, You have the capacity so use it to your best advantage and people will be asking you when the next story is coming.
I like your style Alex keep it up.

--------------------
I WANNA GO: FISHIN WITH SUMO.

+Quote Post
quintrex101
post Jan 14 2008, 03:33 PM
Post #9

BEN 10kg

Member No.: 370

nice report cnr, there are lots of fush there,

yes jumpy, i reakon the sweep would have tasted like crap, laugh.gif

+Quote Post
catchnrelease
post Jan 14 2008, 04:36 PM
Post #10

*Bi Catch*

Sweep taste nice if fried lightly. Have to eat them on the day you catch them, they don't keep at all. rolleyes.gif

Will try to add pictures later, the stupid computer's acting up. dry.gif

This post has been edited by catchnrelease: Jan 14 2008, 04:37 PM

--------------------
DANCE!

+Quote Post
poly
post Jan 14 2008, 08:58 PM
Post #11

the yack man

Group: Donator

Member No.: 4

nice report mate, and stuff what others say write in your own style. tongue.gif
i found it most enjoyable and informative, biggrin.gif and it is good to see u having fun
the wife and i are heading down for a 3 bay fishing trip soon and i hope i can do as well as u did.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
bugger it's sold,got meself a house instead

+Quote Post
catchnrelease
post Jan 14 2008, 11:28 PM
Post #12

*Bi Catch*

More pictures.... tongue.gif

Me on the bow of the charter.

Some of the thumper rock cod from the first charter trip. biggrin.gif

Another picture of the ray, it shows just how big it really is. It must have been at least 1.5 metres across. :o

A very very very very very very very very very very very very small salmon. laugh.gif

Salmon headshot...very sandy but came out nicely. smile.gif

And the salmon cleaned up a bit, just gotta love the colours of a beach salmon. biggrin.gif

--------------------
DANCE!

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Jan 15 2008, 01:16 AM
Post #13

*FruitLoop* 53

Group: Donator

Member No.: 3

good onya catch!!!

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jan 15 2008, 01:46 AM
Post #14

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

Me on the bow of the charter.

The Skipper used to make Gilligan go stand on the bow off the SS Minnow laugh.gif

Did you eat the salmon as well ????

Lightly fried with a Twit of Lemon laugh.gif

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
catchnrelease
post Jan 15 2008, 03:02 AM
Post #15

*Bi Catch*

Nah, I put the salmon back. biggrin.gif :thumbs_up:

--------------------
DANCE!

+Quote Post
Christos
post Jan 21 2008, 02:27 AM
Post #16

Kokino Vraka

Member No.: 220

I will firstly say to catchandrelease, very good report on the fishing and non fishing. It was well balanced.

Now as for these guys

QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Jan 14 2008, 07:56 PM) *
Did the sweep taste like crap ???

QUOTE (southcoastin @ Jan 15 2008, 10:33 AM) *
yes jumpy, i reakon the sweep would have tasted like crap,

Fight for the right of the Sweep.

Sweep require to be eaten with some sauce. I think a light salty type sauce (Soy with lemon)

+Quote Post
Smelly
post Jan 21 2008, 05:49 AM
Post #17

*GasMask*

Member No.: 26

What was that you were saying about info Christos

QUOTE (Christos @ Jan 21 2008, 09:27 PM) *
Sweep require to be eaten with some sauce. I think a light salty type sauce

If ya ask me thats waaaaay toooo much information . laugh.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Smelly: Jan 21 2008, 06:05 AM

--------------------
catch ya
SMELLY

+Quote Post
Smelly
post Jan 21 2008, 06:14 AM
Post #18

*GasMask*

Member No.: 26

Yeah thats a top report there Catch biggrin.gif

Heap'sa detail almost too much i'm struggling to raise a Q laugh.gif

I did notice one thing tho

You were saying you were catching heaps of little Mullet with a few going legal .

Whats the go there ?? your allowed to use small poddy mullet for bait are'nt you ????

I trap'em all the time down the coast . My record is 24 in a cordial bottle in one hit. laugh.gif

Nice pics too budd specially love the ones of the ray .

--------------------
catch ya
SMELLY

+Quote Post
Christos
post Jan 22 2008, 03:11 AM
Post #19

Kokino Vraka

Member No.: 220

QUOTE (Smelly @ Jan 22 2008, 12:49 AM) *
What was that you were saying about info Christos
If ya ask me thats waaaaay toooo much information . laugh.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

Yeah you are right. I should have stopped by the way.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th August 2024 - 06:31 AM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates