Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Question If I May
poly
post Aug 20 2009, 02:06 AM
Post #1

the yack man

Group: Donator

Member No.: 4

while looking through a u.s. boat sales site I found it very hard to find boats built like the one's jumpus builds, most alloy boats seem to be riveted, I find this hard to under stand as i can not see a cost saving, o.k. it is a much thinner skin, but why not just weld it.

this is a starcraft 24ft half cab, and as you can see there is a row of rivers around the bow, to me over time the rivers will work loos and course leeks why build in this way????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Attached File(s)
Attached File  94894980_1thumb_550x410.jpg ( 36.07K ) Number of downloads: 31

--------------------
bugger it's sold,got meself a house instead

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Aug 20 2009, 03:15 AM
Post #2

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

Tis a Fugly wooking goat isn't it hysterical.gif

this is a starcraft 24ft half cab, and as you can see there is a row of rivers around the bow

I'm either going blind or ewe had Magic Mushies 4 dinner & R seeing things,

Couldn't see any sign of a river nor rivets hysterical.gif

Not a big fan of Yank boats dont think to many of them could handle the more unpredictable Aussie conditions

like the one's jumpus builds,

Ewe wont find to many like the wuns Jumpus builds, I dont build to budget & it would cost ewe an arm & a leg to order wun with all the thingy's I put into my goats

Haven't seen to many plate goats that impress me @ all I did like the new wook Predator though

Cant stand those woefull wooking Barcrushers every wun seems to get a stiffy over they're a piece of shite as far as I'm concerned I had a real good look @ wun & can tell ewes they're built to budget with alot of BULLSHIT claims.

Esp the wun where they claim the bottom V of the hull acts as a ballast wot a load of crap that is, that area is velly shallow & runs along the V of the goat cant do ewe a great deal of ballasting.

The Jumpus Live Bait Tanks would give ewe a better ballasting system than those Barcrushers & I'd like to see a Barcrusher owner try & keep up with the Jumpus GooDarus.

That's wot ewe call a goat, not taking full credit think alot was fluke but that goat will go through anything without dropping the thoatles down to much ewe allways feel safe in that goat

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
Fed
post Aug 20 2009, 01:40 PM
Post #3

*Mr Shiny Head*

Group: Members

Member No.: 7

It's just a keelson Poly, notice they have done the same with the strakes & chines.
That would be a very strong boat, good looking hull but the cabin doesn't do it for me.
Do they make them in any other configurations?

--------------------

SEAFARER: Fine as a Fairy's Fart

+Quote Post
salty fil
post Aug 20 2009, 09:16 PM
Post #4

*Suretus Anus*

Member No.: 2,582

QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Aug 20 2009, 09:15 PM) *
Ewe wont find to many like the wuns Jumpus builds, I dont build to budget & it would cost ewe an arm & a leg to order wun with all the thingy's I put into my goats

Haven't seen to many plate goats that impress me @ all I did like the new wook Predator though

Cant stand those woefull wooking Barcrushers every wun seems to get a stiffy over they're a piece of shite as far as I'm concerned I had a real good look @ wun & can tell ewes they're built to budget with alot of BULLSHIT claims.

Esp the wun where they claim the bottom V of the hull acts as a ballast wot a load of crap that is, that area is velly shallow & runs along the V of the goat cant do ewe a great deal of ballasting.

The Jumpus Live Bait Tanks would give ewe a better ballasting system than those Barcrushers & I'd like to see a Barcrusher owner try & keep up with the Jumpus GooDarus.

That's wot ewe call a goat, not taking full credit think alot was fluke but that goat will go through anything without dropping the thoatles down to much ewe allways feel safe in that goat

Dont be so modest and humble Jumpy......

+Quote Post
poly
post Aug 20 2009, 11:03 PM
Post #5

the yack man

QUOTE (Fed @ Aug 21 2009, 07:40 AM) *
It's just a keelson Poly, notice they have done the same with the strakes & chines.
That would be a very strong boat, good looking hull but the cabin doesn't do it for me.
Do they make them in any other configurations?

Fed Jumpus if you have a look at this photo i think it will show the rivets a little better its a 20ft starcraft and this is the link to the boat

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2009-STA...50-STX-95498771
Attached File(s)
Attached File  95498771_3thumb_550x410.jpg ( 49.9K ) Number of downloads: 17

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Aug 20 2009, 11:27 PM
Post #6

His Eminance

It's decieving poly !

Yes there are solid rivets in the transom skin but a velly velly GooDarus guess is they are securing in sum sort of framing internally on the boat.

The design of the goat tells me it's fully welded & not put together by rivets or rivers for that matter hysterical.gif

The rivets may well have been used after the manufacturer had sold the goat as well a after market mod

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Aug 20 2009, 11:31 PM
Post #7

His Eminance

Just had another wooky @ last pic & noticed the 250 HP black anchor on the back.

No manufacturer in their right mind would allow that much HP on the back of their goat.

I'm now convinced the rivets were a mod to beef up the transom to accomidate a motor with so much horsy power

--------------------

+Quote Post
poly
post Aug 21 2009, 12:35 AM
Post #8

the yack man

Ange this a a quote from there own site

Double-Riveted Seams.
Throughout our boats, all transom and chine seams are double-riveted. Double-riveting provides a tighter seal for increased structural integrity. It's just another example of the extra steps Starcraft takes to ensure that our boats perform better and last longer.

here is the site

http://www.starcraftmarine.com/Showroom/Co...p;Type=Aluminum

Ange the thing is why would you rivet a boat when a weld is quicker and stronger I think ??????????????

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Aug 21 2009, 01:19 AM
Post #9

His Eminance

me tinks manufacturers throw all sorts of crap @ the public in a bid to sell their product

That's why I'm so critical of claims & put shit on them like I have done in the past in regards to the Trailcraft & now the Barcrusher.

I get sick & tired of reading about them in the forum by those who have never been in a good plate boat then there's the dreamers who'll never own wun but insist on raving on about them.

I've fushed & owned alot of goats in my time & have a pretty good idea of wot is a good hull.

Then there's my trade background & logic when it comes to construction, that alone tells me which of the plate boats I'd be handing over my hard earned cash for.

And if sum wun asked me 4 advise on which of the plate boats would be the best buy ???

I would steer them to wun of the smaller manufacturers who still hand build their goats & not to Co's like Barcrusher or Trailcraft who mass produce & build to budget, their boats may look OK but they're budget built & over priced for wot your getting 4 your $$'s

Ange this a a quote from there own site

OK I went to their site & am relying on my trade back groung to answer your Q & other claims made by that mob

5052 H34 Marine Grade Aluminum.

Over here true plate boat builders use 5083 H34 & the plate is stamped with certification,

they made have different codes in the USA but I doubt it cause we also have 5052 grade alloy over here, that's wot all your pressed boat manufacturers use - minus the H34

The H34 denotes the tensile strength of the alloy & cant be bent with standard dies on a press ewe need larger more rounded dies else the alloy will crack on the fold

Foam Injection.
At Starcraft, our foam is injected, not poured, between the floor and hull. This allows the gasoline-resistant urethane foam to fill every cavity – eliminated all air and water pockets for greater buoyancy and reduced noise. It's a difference you can feel as soon as you climb aboard in the strength and support of the floor.

Pretty Stupid thing to do in my book, if you've ever injected foam you'll agree with me it will exploded out to every nook & cranny posible & if ewe haven't allowed big enough relief outlets it will distort the hull skin have no fear of that.

Also if ewe ever need to weld afterwards you'll be blowing holes left right & centre cause the foam will bond to the alloy contaminating it once heat is applied.

Full-Length Reverse Chine.
Our exclusive reverse chine design pushes water down and away. This keeps the bow down as you accelerate, getting you out of the hole faster. It also gives you superior acceleration and improved cornering. It's one of the things that makes our boats unique.

Exclusive my arse every plate boat over here has them, not all the same mind ewe the older style platy's used extrusion & then you have hulls like mine which go wun better & use 80 mm of reverse chime.

TBC Stringer System.
Other manufacturers rely on flat I-beams as the basis of their construction, but at Starcraft, we use the elite Torsion Beam Construction (TBC) stringer system. This strong, resilient and flexible system offers greater shock absorption, giving you yet a smoother ride – even in rough waters.

Not 100% sure wot they're craping on about but as far as I'm concerned it's full on crap, over here noby uses I beam solid flat bar is used, I Beam would definately encourage corrosion.

Wot a stupid bullshit comment of there's as well saying their system is better / stronger

A true plate boat rely's on the tensile strength of the alloy skin for it's strength all the frames & stingers do is offer a bed for the skins to get welded to.

Machine-Formed Ribs.
Designed and built for superior strength and flexibility, our machine-formed ribs outperform the traditional, heavy two-ply aluminum ribs used by our competitors.

Woopy !

Again from wot I gather there's surface to surface contact encouraging corrosion

Double-Riveted Seams.
Throughout our boats, all transom and chine seams are double-riveted. Double-riveting provides a tighter seal for increased structural integrity. It's just another example of the extra steps Starcraft takes to ensure that our boats perform better and last longer.

Again wot a load of crap !

I've put in my fair share of solid rivets into aircrat to know better no such thing as a tighter seal with rivets unless you gasket in between the sheets

Buggered if I know wot they're flapping their jaws about cause from the pics their boats look fully welded exept for those rivets on the transom

--------------------

+Quote Post
poly
post Aug 21 2009, 02:09 AM
Post #10

the yack man

I've put in my fair share of solid rivets into aircraft to know better no such thing as a tighter seal with rivets unless you gasket in between the sheets

thank you J.G. that's what i was looking for, a gasket is needed to seal the joint something like silicon i would think, with out it there would have to be leaks, even very small ones would have a buyer jumping up and down. the thing is why use them in the first place, when it would be quicker to weld, that is the question ?????????

Paul

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Aug 21 2009, 02:20 AM
Post #11

His Eminance

Much quicker to weld

And that's wot their pics show as well

All the undefloor framing looks welded to me

Rivets are by no means better than welding unless you're trying to avoid distortion.

When a boat comes down in a wave or vibrations from evey day use there's movement.

This movement will eventually transfer onto the rivets which in turn can loosen them.

On aircraft it was easy to visually see loose rivets frain the dirt trail & those rivets would get replaced right away.

Well they did back in my day, these days QANTAS subs out the work & it seems not as much enphasis is put on safety

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fed
post Aug 21 2009, 06:26 PM
Post #12

*Mr Shiny Head*

Member No.: 7

If you look carefully at the boat at the top of the page you can see 1000s of rivets on the bottom skin, surely that would reduce the performance a hell of a lot.
http://www.starcraftmarine.com/Showroom/Co...p;Type=Aluminum

--------------------

SEAFARER: Fine as a Fairy's Fart

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Aug 21 2009, 10:58 PM
Post #13

*FruitLoop* 53

Member No.: 3

Talk about ugly boats... I think we are miles ahead of them in design!!

We used to have a Stacer, many years ago.. Was all Pop Rivited.. Wasnt a bad hull.. It got through more punishment than the ally craft did anyway!

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Aug 22 2009, 01:52 AM
Post #14

His Eminance

QUOTE (Fed @ Aug 22 2009, 12:26 PM) *
If you look carefully at the boat at the top of the page you can see 1000s of rivets on the bottom skin, surely that would reduce the performance a hell of a lot.

I've often said my earsight ain't wot it used 2B & I wasn't Joe King hysterical.gif

Only up close though I can still see like a hawk @ distance

Anyways even after blowing up the pic [a bit distorted] I still couldn't see any rivets.

Having said that sum ting else did cstch my earsight, 2 guys working together then I looked a bit closer & saw the tools they were on,

Pneumatic rivet gun & the guy in the goat would've been on the dolly

Guess they are riveted BUT have a feeling the riveting is only to secure the sub frame to the skins, it'd be suicide not to have skins welded together

We used to have a Stacer, many years ago.. Was all Pop Rivited..

Dont recall a Stacer but do recall the De Haviland Trojan

& the sight of all those revolting solid rivets

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Aug 22 2009, 02:09 AM
Post #15

*FruitLoop* 53

Member No.: 3

Should add... It was not all rivited, the skins were welded and all, just some parts rivited... Would have been bout a early 90's model..

+Quote Post
poly
post Aug 22 2009, 05:04 PM
Post #16

the yack man

its time some one when over there and showed them how its done

Talk about ugly boats... I think we are miles ahead of them in design!!

you are right there, looks like it came out of the 1950's

--------------------

+Quote Post
quintrex101
post Aug 22 2009, 07:52 PM
Post #17

BEN 10kg

Member No.: 370

your 100 % right poly i dont like the rivet myself either,

i had to pick any 340 - 350 hull for a car topper and i went for the ally craft cos it was the only hull that i seen that was fully welded as you can see

compared to the quintrex. see all the rivets in the seats. mines fully welded there

also my hull is deeper ! but it was a little dearer but worth it and as far as 11 footers go this has to be one of the better ones

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Aug 23 2009, 12:24 AM
Post #18

His Eminance

i had to pick any 340 - 350 hull for a car topper and i went for the ally craft cos it was the only hull that i seen that was fully welded as you can see

Geez you're a TWIT TOP 4got the brurry S again hysterical.gif

All tinny's are fully weld & those that have seats ALL have solid rivets securing them

--------------------

+Quote Post
quintrex101
post Aug 24 2009, 12:45 AM
Post #19

BEN 10kg

Member No.: 370

haha okay true but i dont like the pop rivets standing out on the outside of the hull makes them not look as good haha

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Aug 24 2009, 01:14 AM
Post #20

His Eminance

Again ewe are incorrect & so was Spud.

Get it into your heads

There are no such things as Pop Rivets in the manufactring of Alloy Boats

They are solid rivets

If they were Pop Rivets you'd have leaks mainly where the stem of the pop breaks off.

Solid rivets dont allow such leaks

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th October 2024 - 06:17 AM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates