Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Worst Fishing Experience
salty fil
post Jun 12 2008, 10:55 PM
Post #1

*Suretus Anus*

Group: Members

Member No.: 2,582

Where the hell has everyone been the last few days???
Thought id have some fun and start a post about everyones worst fishing experience.
Dont think many of us will be doing some fishing this weekend because of the weather, so hopefully everyone can contribute for abit of fun.
Maybe something went wrong with your gear, boat, authorities, or just the weather.
Or maybe you had to spend 8 hrs on the water with Jumpy!!! tongue.gif

Il get the ball rolling. I have a few, but il start with the more recent one which happened last September/October.
I had just joined the local fishing club and was pretty excited about the first comp i had coming up cause ive had a good run with the fishing up till then.
I started fishing at 11 a.m. and hadnt caught my first fish till 3 p.m., a little taylor.
I went out to North Head where id been having some luck but everything went terribly. I lost 2 anchors to the reef and didnt catch a thing.
Went back into the Spit and fished it till 7 p.m. for only a Trevally.
My plans were to stay the night for a Jew cause i got a nice 15 kg one there the week before, but the footy semi finals were on. I think it was Parramatta vs the Bulldogs (the dogs got smashed i think).
So at 7.00 i went back to the ramp, put the boat on the trailer, drove home, dropped the boat off, went to my mates to borrow an anchor for the next day, went back home, had a shower and still made kick off.
This is where the fun begins........
After the game i decided to go back out there for the night. the missus thought i was crazy, especially as i walked out the door in thongs,singlet and shorts. I told her i had a jacket and trackies on the boat.
i stopped to pick up the Sunday paper and a bottle of v and i launched at about 10 p.m.
It was abit chilly so i reached for my jacket which was absolutely soaked cause i had it under my anchor rope. Every time i lifted anchor from the front of the boat during the day i didnt realise i was dropping it on my jacket and trackies!
My old boat was completely open so there was no cover at all. This particular night had to be the coldest of the month aswell.
Come midnight i was pretty cold. Those who know me well know im pretty resilient against the cold, so if Fil is feeling cold, it must be cold!
I had my Jew baits set up and was pretty tired and cold. It was windy that night and the wind was coming up the transom, so i decided to lie down to hopefully get out of the wind and get some sleep.
Cold, windy and wet, dressed in shorts and a singlet, I had no chance of sleeping. I wasnt going to go back in cause i was certain i was going to get a Jew!
I searched the boat several times for anything dry i could wrap myself in, towel, plastic bags - ANYTHING!!!
But i had nothing...
At 3.00 a.m. i was getting desperate. My teeth were jittering, my rod had gone off but i could not get up to get it. I looked to my side and saw the newspaper!!
I wouldve paid $50 for that newspaper if i knew what it wouldve done for me! A homeless man once told me it was the best thing to have when you have nothing!
With trembling fingers which i barely had no control over, i started by making myself some socks. I could not feel my feet.
Next i put my wet trackies on and slowly padded the inside with the paper to have a barrier between water and skin.
Next i done the same with my bomber jacket. I really padded that up so much i felt like the Michelin Man.
Im glad it was a Sunday paper cause there was plenty of it. All the editorials, liftouts and stuff. I used every scrap!
Next i made myself a beanie and that really done the trick.
Last of all i made a pair of gloves and then slowly retired to the deck of the boat!
5 min later i heard my ratchet go off again. It was screaming! But there was NO chance i was getting up and ruining my paper outfit!!!
I was still wet, but felt better, by no means great. I managed to get some relatively warm broken sleep and slept in till 6.30 a.m. I was awake at 5.30 from the light but to cold to actually get up. It was a magnificent day. So warm that it actually didnt take me long to strip back down to shorts and a singlet.
Both my rods had been busted off so i had nothing.
Went back to North Head but still couldnt catch anything.
At 11 a.m. i decided to call it a day and went back to the ramp.
Was so pissed off i didnt even weigh my Trevally in.
I look back at it now and call myself a pussy, but i will never forget my thoughts and trembling on how bad it actually was.

Next...................
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Christos
post Jun 13 2008, 12:54 AM
Post #2

Kokino Vraka

Member No.: 220

The worst fishing day for me is hard to say as rock hopping is a little different to boating.

So I can not say that I have had a worst fishing day just some bad days. Then not really bad days as if you find that the rock hopping is not safe you more to another place. I have a car and it comes in handy when you go to one location and find that the water coming over the top you just get back to the car and try another location.

Then you are not really getting a bad day, only inconvenient.

Then there has been a time that I had forgotten the bait, again another inconvenience. There might have been a time that you slipped over or one of your group has slipped over. You might get a wave come about waist high making you feel a little cold down there. You might have a problem with the reel or line. You get caught in the rocks. You get broken off. It starts to pour down rain and you get a little wet.

All these are just minor inconveniences, as these happen once in a while. The worst day would be to have these happen all in one day. That has not happened. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
storms72
post Jun 13 2008, 04:14 AM
Post #3

Shark

Member No.: 393

Had a couple but this was definately the best!!!!

Headed for Coalcliff with a mate from up the Central Coast at night bout 2yrs ago! High tide was late so we headed off just before dark arrived with torches and beach rods in hand and proceeded to head out to my favourite point. No troubles getting out there, set up the gear and I cast my first bait into the water....Seconds later my mate as he was running across the shelf to safety yells that wave looks big....I'v turned and shined my torch on a good 6ft wave which crashed sending 3ft of wash across the rocks...I was picked up with my tackle box, bait, burley and bucket and dragged a good distance across the shelf....Finally coming to a stop I stood up checked for any other rogue waves, gathered up my gear and headed back out to a spot further up the point thats a fair bit higher from water level. My mate joined me after a little while and I by now had both rods out and yah you guessed it same thing happened with a slightly bigger wave, we both got smashed, gear went everywhere we finally found most of it and decided to call it a night....It had been a few years since I had been cleaned up on the rocks and it was a good reminder that old man sea isn't to be taken too lightly!!!!

--------------------
AAAAHhhhhhhh, I just wanna fish!!!!

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jun 13 2008, 11:38 PM
Post #4

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

Well I took this wittle short fulla out recently, he only stood 3 ft 4 inch's tall his head just made it over the gunnels laugh.gif laugh.gif

Wittle bugger kept talking to himself all day laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
salty fil
post Jun 14 2008, 12:15 AM
Post #5

*Suretus Anus*

Geez mate, what an annoying bloody day that must have been for you!
Who id the bloody bugger your referring to???

+Quote Post
kkw
post Jun 14 2008, 12:19 AM
Post #6

" Master of Black Fish"(alias The Criminal)"

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 30

Not poor Steve I hope. He is a bar fridge with legs, but not annoying. Except when he is behind you.

+Quote Post
STEVE.P
post Jun 14 2008, 12:49 AM
Post #7

*BloodyBumShitBugger*

Member No.: 6

QUOTE (kkw @ Jun 14 2008, 07:19 PM) *
Not poor Steve I hope. He is a bar fridge with legs, but not annoying. Except when he is behind you.

Hey dont descriminate Im just as good in front smile.gif

--------------------
Goony Googoo

+Quote Post
salty fil
post Jun 14 2008, 03:48 PM
Post #8

*Suretus Anus*

QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Jun 14 2008, 05:38 PM) *
Well I took this wittle short fulla out recently, he only stood 3 ft 4 inch's tall his head just made it over the gunnels laugh.gif laugh.gif

Wittle bugger kept talking to himself all day laugh.gif laugh.gif

Come on Jump, im sure you'de have a story or 2 to tell after all your years on the water...

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jun 14 2008, 06:15 PM
Post #9

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

Prob that many I cant signal one particular one out laugh.gif

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
kkw
post Jun 15 2008, 02:25 AM
Post #10

It was a good session for me, but poor old Wayne would have to disagree. I had just been on a patrol run down to Garie, at 8-10knots laugh.gif and had picked up a stripey. (it jumped into the boat, honest) It was a lovely day with big, slow rolling swells from the SE.
I suggested to Wayne that maybe we shouldn't take a tuna back to the RMYC when I moored the boat, and thought we should drop a handline over the side, on the NE corner of the bommie. He agreed, so the anchor went down. Baited up and no sooner hit the bottom when I was on. A nice 1.5kg snapper. Hmmm, good, I thought. Another bait went down for a repeat performance. Wayne was starting to get real quiet and wasn't looking too happy. He was yawning and looking a bit grey. One yawn too many and it was technicoloured. Well he spewed and spewed, and the bite got hotter and hotter. The reds were getting bigger too. Poor Wayne was begging me to go in, but I just said, one more - one more. Cec Abbott, the then Commissioner, was meeting us at the yacht club, just to say hello, so I thought he would be happy to take home some fish. Wayne was groaning and spewing. He was on his knees, with his head on the 30cm gunwhale. I had just landed another red, and glanced over at the side he was on. As the bow went down into the trough of a big swell, a pool of vomit ran towards the front. As it rose into the next swell, it would run back and hit the side of his head. He had vomit (where do carrots come from, even if you haven't eaten any???) all through his hair and face. I had a dozen nice reds, so started the motor, pulled the anchor and motored into Jibbon. Wayne perked up a bit, so I pushed him over the side and told him to wash himself. Can't have a stinky, vomit encrusted Constable meeting the Commissioner. Fun times - at times.

+Quote Post
salty fil
post Jun 15 2008, 03:51 AM
Post #11

*Suretus Anus*

Classic story!
Great stuff kkw.
Thats what i mean fellas. Lets have abit of fun and keep the storys coming. Its been abit quiet lately!!!

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Jun 15 2008, 03:55 AM
Post #12

*FruitLoop* 53

Group: Donator

Member No.: 3

awww. kkw... did ya ever work with russel or bruce? you mob are a worry!!

+Quote Post
kkw
post Jun 15 2008, 04:31 AM
Post #13

King? Nahhh. Knew his ex wife well - before she was his wife. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Jun 15 2008, 05:23 AM
Post #14

*FruitLoop* 53

Group: Donator

Member No.: 3

what bout vickers?

my worst fishing experiance, also resulted in my OB bream of 40cm.... Do a search for JB fishing Disaster on this site!! ill find a link later!

+Quote Post
salty fil
post Jul 26 2008, 03:09 AM
Post #15

*Suretus Anus*

Wasnt one of my worst fish's ive had, but it was pretty bad so i thought id throw it in here anyway.
My kind of matew has a little 11 foot tinny with a 15 h.p. engine and he asked me if i could show him some spots out Long Reef today.
It was the most uncomfortable fish ive had ever.
No rod holders, no bait board, an anchor that had 5 m of chain and 10 m of rope that was completely knotted together with fishing line.
I couldnt even stand up to do a piss cause of that bloody uneven floor.
The boat was not deep at all and was only sitting 6 inches above the water line. I was soaked and cold.
The guy is just getting into fishing and admits he doesnt know much, so i have to give him that, but hell, my kayak is 10 times more comfy than that!
Atleast i got a Reddy and a heap of Slimeys while he got bugger all!
I really cant wait for my trailer to be ready. Its been 5 weeks now! Im hanging to get my own boat on the water!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th August 2024 - 01:34 AM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates