> Apprenticeships
A pirate
post Jul 19 2008, 09:32 PM
Post #21

Jewfish

Group: Members

Member No.: 2,564

QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Jul 17 2008, 10:53 PM) *
Sorry Tom only thing I can offer is apprenticeships for the retireree laugh.gif laugh.gif

you and me both considering in 1/2 retired at 29! biggrin.gif

Tom i suggest finish you HSC and then look as this will help you in the future trust me even at 29 i still get asked did i finish my HSC when i allpy for jobs/promotions.

Even look at other government jobs ie AFP , AQIS, Aust Customs they will train from scratch to where ever you want to go, and they're not just at the airport.

if you want to know more PM me.

--------------------
A Pirate by name, A Pirate by nature!

I support FILLET and RELEASE!

Botany Bay PB's; nil to date
Port Hacking PB's; Flathead 47cm, Bream 36cm, Flounder 32cm (these are not big PB's but its a start)
Northern Australia PB's; Shark 1.6m(whaler), Spangled Emperor 60cm, Spanish Mackerel 1.45m
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Jul 19 2008, 10:11 PM
Post #22

*FruitLoop* 53

Group: Donator

Member No.: 3

I recon the HSC is a LOAD OF CRAP, unless you want a UAI and to go to uni....

TOM, if you dont like studing and wanna work with your hands, GET OUT NOW and be 2 years in front of where you will after wasting 2 years rooting and boozing at school in years 11 and 12...

+Quote Post
Christos
post Jul 19 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #23

Kokino Vraka

Member No.: 220

I have been reading this as it comes to light and I feel that I should say something.

Try and complete the HSC. You have a number of options during this HSC as mention in the thread.

One thing that I will say about the HSC. If you decide on going on to complete the HSC give this a bloody good go, you have to commit in doing the HSC.

+Quote Post
A pirate
post Jul 19 2008, 11:29 PM
Post #24

Jewfish

i can tell you for a fact more "Professional" (as opposed to "Trade") will be looking for candidates who have completed their HSC, UAI is only uni based and im not talkng about that.

--------------------

Port Hacking PB's; Flathead 47cm, Bream 36cm, Flounder 32cm (these are not big PB's but its a start)
Northern Australia PB's; Shark 1.6m(whaler), Spangled Emperor 60cm, Spanish Mackerel 1.45m

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Jul 20 2008, 12:10 AM
Post #25

*FruitLoop* 53

What crap...

The HSC means POO! if you want a trade job..

What do you mean by professional? Wears a suit and sits on their ass all day... I doubt thats the kinda job that Tom is after.. Hes talking about trades and skilled labour.. get out and get a start now Tom..

Im on over 70k, only work half the year and the HSC didnt do sh!t for me....

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Jul 20 2008, 12:13 AM
Post #26

*FruitLoop* 53

Ill also add, weve got some apprentices out here, who are 16/17 and on over 40k 1st year....... How many of you HSC and Uni students are on over 40k?? your at least 18 by the time you finish HSC add 4 years of UNI your at least 22 and by the time your 25 yuor probably still paying off your fees... These kids out here could be on 80k by the time they are 22!!

+Quote Post
Bees Knees
post Jul 20 2008, 12:39 AM
Post #27

Twoeyesea

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE (Rumpus @ Jul 20 2008, 06:13 PM) *
Ill also add, weve got some apprentices out here, who are 16/17 and on over 40k 1st year....... How many of you HSC and Uni students are on over 40k?? your at least 18 by the time you finish HSC add 4 years of UNI your at least 22 and by the time your 25 yuor probably still paying off your fees... These kids out here could be on 80k by the time they are 22!!

Boys, i have to agree with Rum here.. There are great rewards for apprentices. There is money to be made for these kids. It's all about application.

I dont think you need the HSC for a trade's apprenticeship. That is what Tom wants.
He needs to be keen. Turn up everyday, and learn smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bees Knees: Jul 20 2008, 12:40 AM

--------------------
Don't hate me, cause you ain't me... :)

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jul 20 2008, 12:47 AM
Post #28

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

Now Now Girls stop Bitch Fighting laugh.gif

We all know that Rumpus got the same level of education as Rethro from the Beverly Hillbillys hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

But in this instance I have to agree with him .

Tom in the 2 trades which you have listed there is no need to futher school education further than what I knew as 4th form they've got weird names these days.

Schooling past that is virtually a waste of time so are those Stupid TAFE courses introduced to help young people get a job once they left school, all they are is a total waste of tax payers moneys & something the idiotic Hawrke Gov introduced in a bid to keep unemployment no's down.

As a former employer of apprentices, I had a saying everytime they tried telling me what they learnt @ tech.

What you learn @ tech you leave it there, dont bring that rubbish into my workshop

As far as learning goes ???

Well you can learn more in 6 months just standing next to a good tradesman on the job than you would in a decade sitting in a classroom it's up to you how much you want to learn that part is totally in your hands.

Jumpus still has one good saying though & you'll never hear truer words

If your heart is not in that which you are doing , then you shouldn't be doing it
Take Pride in what you do & you'll be a champion

That's when I decided to retire I knew it was time cause I couldn't be the best that I could anymore

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
BONECRUSHER
post Jul 20 2008, 01:11 AM
Post #29

Bream

Member No.: 2,586

tom, i guess everyone has a opinion and its up to you to make the call, i finished year 12 as i didnt know what i wanted to do work wise and did my trade as a locksmith. now 10 years on i am looking at a career change of going to uni to get a degree in fisheries management/aquaculture. Having completed year 12 has helped my situation as i have passed some of the prequisites and only need to do two bridging courses. If i hadnt of passed those year 12 subjects i would have to re-do my HSC over one year.

If you had asked me when i left school i would of told you i would never go to uni. But you never really know. Its true you will be earning good money straight out for school (my x-manager is starting 1st year apprentices air conditioner mechanics on $50,000)
and now all your mates who go to uni will be poor uni students but 10 years on most of those guys are getting jobs paying $100,000+

I have mates who didnt finish year 12 who have done really well in there trades, who own there own business. and know alot of people who went to uni that bumed out mid way or finished only to hate what the are doing.

The path i took i dont regret as it has taken me around the world and when i was at school i did not really know what i wanted to do and if you just pick any uni course you may hate it. But if you go out into the big wide world and get life experiance you may decide another path later in life and a HSC gives you one more option.

Also feel free to call me if you do decide, you have my number in the private message.

coops

+Quote Post
storms72
post Jul 20 2008, 04:13 AM
Post #30

Shark

Member No.: 393

Interesting read....OZ, I agree mate, smart choices equals young retirement.....My cousin joined the Navy @ 15 and he now has his masters of all things that make music, does some private lessons and has been retired since he was 40, due to his service he recieves some ongoing payment from the Gov't! Bit of advice for you Tom, my cousin left school at the end of year 9 and had to complete yr 10 and 11/12 to gain the qualifications he needed to progress up the ranks.......Even if you think you don't need the HSC be wary that at some time down the track you may need it!

--------------------
AAAAHhhhhhhh, I just wanna fish!!!!

+Quote Post
A pirate
post Jul 20 2008, 06:13 AM
Post #31

Jewfish

QUOTE (Rumpus @ Jul 20 2008, 12:10 AM) *
What crap...

The HSC means POO! if you want a trade job..

What do you mean by professional? Wears a suit and sits on their ass all day... I doubt thats the kinda job that Tom is after.. Hes talking about trades and skilled labour.. get out and get a start now Tom..

Im on over 70k, only work half the year and the HSC didnt do sh!t for me....

Professional is a person who has been tertiary trained as apposed to trade trained.

each to their own and we all take different paths but i did do HSC and i just turned 29 and im double and bit your wage and only work 6months a year so it depends on what you want t do and where you want to go.

All im saying is it can open a few more doors but if you keen and good at what you do leave and follow your talent!

This post has been edited by A pirate: Jul 20 2008, 06:15 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bees Knees
post Jul 20 2008, 11:58 AM
Post #32

Twoeyesea

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE (BONECRUSHER @ Jul 20 2008, 07:11 PM) *
tom, i guess everyone has a opinion and its up to you to make the call, i finished year 12 as i didnt know what i wanted to do work wise and did my trade as a locksmith. now 10 years on i am looking at a career change of going to uni to get a degree in fisheries management/aquaculture. Having completed year 12 has helped my situation as i have passed some of the prequisites and only need to do two bridging courses. If i hadnt of passed those year 12 subjects i would have to re-do my HSC over one year.

If you had asked me when i left school i would of told you i would never go to uni. But you never really know. Its true you will be earning good money straight out for school (my x-manager is starting 1st year apprentices air conditioner mechanics on $50,000)
and now all your mates who go to uni will be poor uni students but 10 years on most of those guys are getting jobs paying $100,000+

I have mates who didnt finish year 12 who have done really well in there trades, who own there own business. and know alot of people who went to uni that bumed out mid way or finished only to hate what the are doing.

The path i took i dont regret as it has taken me around the world and when i was at school i did not really know what i wanted to do and if you just pick any uni course you may hate it. But if you go out into the big wide world and get life experiance you may decide another path later in life and a HSC gives you one more option.

Also feel free to call me if you do decide, you have my number in the private message.

coops

Yep, get your point BC...

So many choices, so little time. Good Luck Tom cheers.gif peace.gif

--------------------
Don't hate me, cause you ain't me... :)

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jul 20 2008, 04:16 PM
Post #33

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (A pirate @ Jul 21 2008, 12:13 AM) *
Professional is a person who has been tertiary trained as apposed to trade trained.

each to their own and we all take different paths but i did do HSC and i just turned 29 and im double and bit your wage and only work 6months a year so it depends on what you want t do and where you want to go.

All im saying is it can open a few more doors but if you keen and good at what you do leave and follow your talent!

Think you missed the point of the original question asked by Tom pirate & you weren't alone in that departmentquite a few here started on about tertary & further education.

In the trades which Tom has chosen there is no need & wasting a further couple of years @ school would not help him gain a apprenticeship in those trades, in fact it would be more a disadvantage as employers do opt for the younger 16 - 17 yo's over the older 18 - 19 yo's

Also I'm not trying to put anyones job done as you said each to their own & it's more a case of what ones capabilities are as to how much one earns for example you may have gone on & done further studies after your HSC & I know you are still doing those studies, I also know that you spend alot of time away home home which plays a big role in what you earn & alot o0f that wage would be paid in penalties etc.

To give you another example @ your age I can honestly say that I was earning double what you are now when you adjust inflation & wages between the era's & that was whilst working for a boss as well not in my own buisness & I left school aged 16.

Most of my school friends went on to uni etc alot wasted their time & parents money as well getting a education they never used working as tellers in banks etc so unless you're going to put a education to good use why go on with it ??

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
Christos
post Jul 21 2008, 12:39 AM
Post #34

Kokino Vraka

Well that settles it.

I am the lowest paid.

+Quote Post
TomMc
post Jul 21 2008, 12:51 AM
Post #35

* Sausage Maker *

Member No.: 1,314

Thanks everyone for sharing there opinions,
I have already made the descision that i want to leave end of this year with an appreticeship,
if i dont get one i will stay on till year 12.
Id rather start in a trade next year then have to wait 2 more years and start.
cheers fellas

+Quote Post
Christos
post Jul 21 2008, 12:53 AM
Post #36

Kokino Vraka

QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Jul 21 2008, 10:16 AM) *
Think you missed the point of the original question asked by Tom pirate & you weren't alone in that departmentquite a few here started on about tertary & further education.

The original question was in the following line. searching for an appreticeship as either an electrician or a plumber. The decision has already been made.

The tangent that I have taken was to respond to a point made that the HSC is a waste of time. I did not agree with that point. If you are going to do your HSC you need to commit to doing the HSC.

QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Jul 21 2008, 10:16 AM) *
In the trades which Tom has chosen there is no need & wasting a further couple of years @ school would not help him gain a apprenticeship in those trades, in fact it would be more a disadvantage as employers do opt for the younger 16 - 17 yo's over the older 18 - 19 yo's

Doing a trade is not a bad thing. Australia needs more tradepeople.

Here is where my next statement will upset quite a few people. We never stop learning. No matter what job or task or activity that we as humans undertake.

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Jul 21 2008, 01:48 AM
Post #37

*FruitLoop* 53

QUOTE (Christos @ Jul 21 2008, 06:53 PM) *
Here is where my next statement will upset quite a few people. We never stop learning. No matter what job or task or activity that we as humans undertake.

YOUR WRONG!! Jumpus knows EVERYTHING!!!

hahaha

Good choice Tom, From the start you have said that you want a trade, and If you not wanting to do the HSC then youve made the right choice and not wasting two years..

The way the world is going, more and more tradesman and skilled labourers are going to be required and they are already in short demand... Sure, you might not be the richest person out there, but if you enjoy the challenge of working with your hands and tools it can be a great profesion...

Personally I much prefer it over an office job, and i HATE dealing with the general public!! Dead set, they are idiots!

+Quote Post
Christos
post Jul 21 2008, 02:55 AM
Post #38

Kokino Vraka

QUOTE (Rumpus @ Jul 21 2008, 07:48 PM) *
YOUR WRONG!! Jumpus knows EVERYTHING!!!

hahaha

That's what he keeps telling everyone. This could go the other way and no one will speak to him. sad_smile.gif

+Quote Post
oz man
post Jul 21 2008, 01:02 PM
Post #39

The Guru

Group: Root Admin

Member No.: 1

If your so determined well ring David iof Tabma which I have PM you.
He may have an electrician or a Timber related trainee or apprenticeship going,and what Tabma stands for is Timber and Building Materials Association,which if you get on there you will never have to worry about the employer as they will transfer you to another within the group if the original employer has trouble.
I got a friends son on as an apprentice saw doctors with Dave about 5 years ago, now he his full qualified and on about $100,000 a year.
He may have an apprenticeship in anything from a florist to a wood machinist as the Association is damn big , he offered my daughter before she got pregnant a trainee ship in Florist or an apprenticeship in horticulturist , so the variety is big.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jack
post Jul 21 2008, 04:28 PM
Post #40

*Back Better*

Member No.: 2,560

QUOTE (Rumpus @ Jul 21 2008, 07:48 PM) *
and i HATE dealing with the general public!! Dead set, they are idiots!

Calling me an idiot huh......

Better keep looking over your shoulder hysterical.gif

Jack

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th August 2024 - 12:35 AM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates