Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Apprenticeships
Fishing oz style > Chat > Gilligan's Island
Pages: 1, 2
TomMc
Gday fella's!
how is everyone?
I was just wondering if anybody on here could help me out.
I am currently searching for an appreticeship as either an electrician or a plumber.
Just wondering if there is anyone of the site who is either of those and willing to take one on for next year?
Or if someone knows a person looking for one?
Im willing to travel anywhere in sydney on a daily basis as i have a supportive family.
Cheers fellas.

P.S i have applied for around half a dozen apprenticeships but the more I apply for the higher my chances of getting one.
Jumpus GooDarus
Sorry Tom only thing I can offer is apprenticeships for the retireree laugh.gif laugh.gif
TomMc
Haha thanks for the offer Jump! but im atleast 40 years to young! haha
poly
tom if all else fails give me a p.m. and i will see if i can get u in with the A.C.T GOV. however it would be most likely be in the horticulture field.
TomMc
Cheers for the offer poly!
Spudly
Im also looking for work.. Completly over getting shit treatment out here....

They give us a roster for the year so you can plan stuff for ya breaks, then go an change it on ya sometimes with fark all notice!! Expect ya to drop whateva you are doing for them... Im working 4 extra days (for no extra pay) and they wont give me 1 off after working 12 straight!!

These big companies think they can do anything they want... Well im over it...

So anyone who needs a person with experiance in metaliferous mining, Control rooms/DCS, or Farming or better Yet Emergency Response (FIRE, MVA, HazChem, Rope and First Aid / Advanced resus and Defib)

PLEASE PM me!!!
poly
try the A.F.P.or firerys ambos all ways need a hand mate biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
BONECRUSHER
tom i sent you a PM, i have a mate who runs one of austs bigger plumbing companies they could put you on, also as i stated in the PM i locksmithing is not bad also.

coops
TomMc
Cheers coops!
this is the freindliest site out i beleive!
Spudly
Onya Coop!! You cant go wrong with a trade mate.. Opens up alot of doors for yuor future, especially if you start young!
TomMc
yer mate!
i was tossing up between getting a trade now or going on to year12 and doing a job in the primary industries...
i go to year 12 theres another 2 years of not earing money, i then have to go to uni for 4 years so theres 6 years i wouldnt be making anything in.
Just weighed up my options and ive decided id rather be doing a trade then 6 more years of full time education!
storms72
I dunno how it works these days but when I was your age I looked into joining the Air Force, depending on what field you decide to enter they pay you to learn and for UNI if you need any qualifications to advance in your chosen field....Might be worth looking into-even if you have to finish yr 12 you would be earning whilst learning and from what I remember the $$$ on offer were very good considering you have no real expenses-all medical, dental, education, and accommodation(if you live on base) are taken care of!

Would offer you something myself but I don't think you would enjoy the 1hr+ travel each way daily to get to mine!

Good luck Tom
Jason
oz man
1 simple thing look into your HSC as 99.9% of schools now offer a Tafe course as part of your HSC which gives you a better chance of the apprenticeship, and you start at year 2 on most.I have 2 mates which their childs are doing accountant diploma as part of the HSC and another is do fitting and turning all part of HSC. Fair enough you don't get paid but m8 you won't believe how much that piece of paper helps you in real life as I don't have it , I now regret not continuing on and completing. Also as someone said the AFF and Army do offer great job opportunities and you get paid to do it all.
My biggest regret was begin talked out of the AFF as I was accepted as a Trainee radar and electronics tec but my sister in law talked me out of it when I was 19 just after my parents died.I would now be retired on full wages at what ever rank I achieved and that would have been when I was only 35 now look at me 50 and only a manager and having to work till 65.
All I can say is look and ask question of your careers advisor and make him or her work for you.
poly
oz, u have it spot on that is the very best of advice, go get that piece of paper smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
Bees Knees
Tom, I've got to go out, so i'll be quick... Jump on the Master builders website.. Have a look. They can find you something. I'll pm you later on.

You will have to improve a little. I offered to to do some mods on my boat and you didn't turn up mad.gif mad.gif Pick up your act son hysterical.gif hysterical.gif
TomMc
Cheers for the advice fellas! I can see what a couple of you mean about staying on to year 12 but i dont think it is for me...

Thanks for the advice beez! hahah mate it was your own fault you never PM'd me your adress to do the work!
Bees Knees
QUOTE (TomMc @ Jul 19 2008, 05:20 PM) *
Thanks for the advice beez! hahah mate it was your own fault you never PM'd me your adress to do the work!

Tom, thats the first rule of an apprenticship mate... You have to guess what your boss is thinking all the time hysterical.gif He isn't gonna tell you hysterical.gif
TomMc
haha! thats a shame then cause its pretty hard to guess 1 adress out of thousands!
Bees Knees
Ok Tom, this is how you can do it. Get in contact with this mob, if you jump through all the hoops, they will find you a host employer ( plumber, sparky| that is a member of the MBA. The MBA subsidises part of it, so it is attractive to the Tradesman. If the place you are at can continue employment for reasons out of YOUR control... They will find another emoyer for you.

The other way is know that this sceme exsists and hit a few tradies up that are MBA members, and let them trial you.. Get them to contact the MBA about an apprenticeship.

I have had a few come through this scheme. But i knew the kids before we employed them. We still get them to go through the MBA thing.

We are using another host for a new apprentice this time. They came out the other day to see how he's going.

If you have no luck with the MBA, contact me and i'll get the number of this new mob that we are using..

All that aside.. when you get your apprenticeship.. work your butt off and listen to the tradies... In 4 years you'll be 1 of them

http://www.masterbuilders.com.au/services/4_apprentice.html

http://www.mbansw.asn.au/default.asp?id=88

http://www.mbansw.asn.au/default.asp?id=52

Hope this helps.
TomMc
Cheers Beez!
ill take a good look at it!
A pirate
QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Jul 17 2008, 10:53 PM) *
Sorry Tom only thing I can offer is apprenticeships for the retireree laugh.gif laugh.gif

you and me both considering in 1/2 retired at 29! biggrin.gif

Tom i suggest finish you HSC and then look as this will help you in the future trust me even at 29 i still get asked did i finish my HSC when i allpy for jobs/promotions.

Even look at other government jobs ie AFP , AQIS, Aust Customs they will train from scratch to where ever you want to go, and they're not just at the airport.

if you want to know more PM me.
Spudly
I recon the HSC is a LOAD OF CRAP, unless you want a UAI and to go to uni....

TOM, if you dont like studing and wanna work with your hands, GET OUT NOW and be 2 years in front of where you will after wasting 2 years rooting and boozing at school in years 11 and 12...
Christos
I have been reading this as it comes to light and I feel that I should say something.

Try and complete the HSC. You have a number of options during this HSC as mention in the thread.

One thing that I will say about the HSC. If you decide on going on to complete the HSC give this a bloody good go, you have to commit in doing the HSC.
A pirate
i can tell you for a fact more "Professional" (as opposed to "Trade") will be looking for candidates who have completed their HSC, UAI is only uni based and im not talkng about that.
Spudly
What crap...

The HSC means POO! if you want a trade job..

What do you mean by professional? Wears a suit and sits on their ass all day... I doubt thats the kinda job that Tom is after.. Hes talking about trades and skilled labour.. get out and get a start now Tom..

Im on over 70k, only work half the year and the HSC didnt do sh!t for me....
Spudly
Ill also add, weve got some apprentices out here, who are 16/17 and on over 40k 1st year....... How many of you HSC and Uni students are on over 40k?? your at least 18 by the time you finish HSC add 4 years of UNI your at least 22 and by the time your 25 yuor probably still paying off your fees... These kids out here could be on 80k by the time they are 22!!
Bees Knees
QUOTE (Rumpus @ Jul 20 2008, 06:13 PM) *
Ill also add, weve got some apprentices out here, who are 16/17 and on over 40k 1st year....... How many of you HSC and Uni students are on over 40k?? your at least 18 by the time you finish HSC add 4 years of UNI your at least 22 and by the time your 25 yuor probably still paying off your fees... These kids out here could be on 80k by the time they are 22!!

Boys, i have to agree with Rum here.. There are great rewards for apprentices. There is money to be made for these kids. It's all about application.

I dont think you need the HSC for a trade's apprenticeship. That is what Tom wants.
He needs to be keen. Turn up everyday, and learn smile.gif
Jumpus GooDarus
Now Now Girls stop Bitch Fighting laugh.gif

We all know that Rumpus got the same level of education as Rethro from the Beverly Hillbillys hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

But in this instance I have to agree with him .

Tom in the 2 trades which you have listed there is no need to futher school education further than what I knew as 4th form they've got weird names these days.

Schooling past that is virtually a waste of time so are those Stupid TAFE courses introduced to help young people get a job once they left school, all they are is a total waste of tax payers moneys & something the idiotic Hawrke Gov introduced in a bid to keep unemployment no's down.

As a former employer of apprentices, I had a saying everytime they tried telling me what they learnt @ tech.

What you learn @ tech you leave it there, dont bring that rubbish into my workshop

As far as learning goes ???

Well you can learn more in 6 months just standing next to a good tradesman on the job than you would in a decade sitting in a classroom it's up to you how much you want to learn that part is totally in your hands.

Jumpus still has one good saying though & you'll never hear truer words

If your heart is not in that which you are doing , then you shouldn't be doing it
Take Pride in what you do & you'll be a champion

That's when I decided to retire I knew it was time cause I couldn't be the best that I could anymore
BONECRUSHER
tom, i guess everyone has a opinion and its up to you to make the call, i finished year 12 as i didnt know what i wanted to do work wise and did my trade as a locksmith. now 10 years on i am looking at a career change of going to uni to get a degree in fisheries management/aquaculture. Having completed year 12 has helped my situation as i have passed some of the prequisites and only need to do two bridging courses. If i hadnt of passed those year 12 subjects i would have to re-do my HSC over one year.

If you had asked me when i left school i would of told you i would never go to uni. But you never really know. Its true you will be earning good money straight out for school (my x-manager is starting 1st year apprentices air conditioner mechanics on $50,000)
and now all your mates who go to uni will be poor uni students but 10 years on most of those guys are getting jobs paying $100,000+

I have mates who didnt finish year 12 who have done really well in there trades, who own there own business. and know alot of people who went to uni that bumed out mid way or finished only to hate what the are doing.

The path i took i dont regret as it has taken me around the world and when i was at school i did not really know what i wanted to do and if you just pick any uni course you may hate it. But if you go out into the big wide world and get life experiance you may decide another path later in life and a HSC gives you one more option.

Also feel free to call me if you do decide, you have my number in the private message.

coops
storms72
Interesting read....OZ, I agree mate, smart choices equals young retirement.....My cousin joined the Navy @ 15 and he now has his masters of all things that make music, does some private lessons and has been retired since he was 40, due to his service he recieves some ongoing payment from the Gov't! Bit of advice for you Tom, my cousin left school at the end of year 9 and had to complete yr 10 and 11/12 to gain the qualifications he needed to progress up the ranks.......Even if you think you don't need the HSC be wary that at some time down the track you may need it!
A pirate
QUOTE (Rumpus @ Jul 20 2008, 12:10 AM) *
What crap...

The HSC means POO! if you want a trade job..

What do you mean by professional? Wears a suit and sits on their ass all day... I doubt thats the kinda job that Tom is after.. Hes talking about trades and skilled labour.. get out and get a start now Tom..

Im on over 70k, only work half the year and the HSC didnt do sh!t for me....

Professional is a person who has been tertiary trained as apposed to trade trained.

each to their own and we all take different paths but i did do HSC and i just turned 29 and im double and bit your wage and only work 6months a year so it depends on what you want t do and where you want to go.

All im saying is it can open a few more doors but if you keen and good at what you do leave and follow your talent!
Bees Knees
QUOTE (BONECRUSHER @ Jul 20 2008, 07:11 PM) *
tom, i guess everyone has a opinion and its up to you to make the call, i finished year 12 as i didnt know what i wanted to do work wise and did my trade as a locksmith. now 10 years on i am looking at a career change of going to uni to get a degree in fisheries management/aquaculture. Having completed year 12 has helped my situation as i have passed some of the prequisites and only need to do two bridging courses. If i hadnt of passed those year 12 subjects i would have to re-do my HSC over one year.

If you had asked me when i left school i would of told you i would never go to uni. But you never really know. Its true you will be earning good money straight out for school (my x-manager is starting 1st year apprentices air conditioner mechanics on $50,000)
and now all your mates who go to uni will be poor uni students but 10 years on most of those guys are getting jobs paying $100,000+

I have mates who didnt finish year 12 who have done really well in there trades, who own there own business. and know alot of people who went to uni that bumed out mid way or finished only to hate what the are doing.

The path i took i dont regret as it has taken me around the world and when i was at school i did not really know what i wanted to do and if you just pick any uni course you may hate it. But if you go out into the big wide world and get life experiance you may decide another path later in life and a HSC gives you one more option.

Also feel free to call me if you do decide, you have my number in the private message.

coops

Yep, get your point BC...

So many choices, so little time. Good Luck Tom cheers.gif peace.gif
Jumpus GooDarus
QUOTE (A pirate @ Jul 21 2008, 12:13 AM) *
Professional is a person who has been tertiary trained as apposed to trade trained.

each to their own and we all take different paths but i did do HSC and i just turned 29 and im double and bit your wage and only work 6months a year so it depends on what you want t do and where you want to go.

All im saying is it can open a few more doors but if you keen and good at what you do leave and follow your talent!

Think you missed the point of the original question asked by Tom pirate & you weren't alone in that departmentquite a few here started on about tertary & further education.

In the trades which Tom has chosen there is no need & wasting a further couple of years @ school would not help him gain a apprenticeship in those trades, in fact it would be more a disadvantage as employers do opt for the younger 16 - 17 yo's over the older 18 - 19 yo's

Also I'm not trying to put anyones job done as you said each to their own & it's more a case of what ones capabilities are as to how much one earns for example you may have gone on & done further studies after your HSC & I know you are still doing those studies, I also know that you spend alot of time away home home which plays a big role in what you earn & alot o0f that wage would be paid in penalties etc.

To give you another example @ your age I can honestly say that I was earning double what you are now when you adjust inflation & wages between the era's & that was whilst working for a boss as well not in my own buisness & I left school aged 16.

Most of my school friends went on to uni etc alot wasted their time & parents money as well getting a education they never used working as tellers in banks etc so unless you're going to put a education to good use why go on with it ??
Christos
Well that settles it.

I am the lowest paid.
TomMc
Thanks everyone for sharing there opinions,
I have already made the descision that i want to leave end of this year with an appreticeship,
if i dont get one i will stay on till year 12.
Id rather start in a trade next year then have to wait 2 more years and start.
cheers fellas
Christos
QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Jul 21 2008, 10:16 AM) *
Think you missed the point of the original question asked by Tom pirate & you weren't alone in that departmentquite a few here started on about tertary & further education.

The original question was in the following line. searching for an appreticeship as either an electrician or a plumber. The decision has already been made.

The tangent that I have taken was to respond to a point made that the HSC is a waste of time. I did not agree with that point. If you are going to do your HSC you need to commit to doing the HSC.

QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Jul 21 2008, 10:16 AM) *
In the trades which Tom has chosen there is no need & wasting a further couple of years @ school would not help him gain a apprenticeship in those trades, in fact it would be more a disadvantage as employers do opt for the younger 16 - 17 yo's over the older 18 - 19 yo's

Doing a trade is not a bad thing. Australia needs more tradepeople.

Here is where my next statement will upset quite a few people. We never stop learning. No matter what job or task or activity that we as humans undertake.
Spudly
QUOTE (Christos @ Jul 21 2008, 06:53 PM) *
Here is where my next statement will upset quite a few people. We never stop learning. No matter what job or task or activity that we as humans undertake.

YOUR WRONG!! Jumpus knows EVERYTHING!!!

hahaha

Good choice Tom, From the start you have said that you want a trade, and If you not wanting to do the HSC then youve made the right choice and not wasting two years..

The way the world is going, more and more tradesman and skilled labourers are going to be required and they are already in short demand... Sure, you might not be the richest person out there, but if you enjoy the challenge of working with your hands and tools it can be a great profesion...

Personally I much prefer it over an office job, and i HATE dealing with the general public!! Dead set, they are idiots!
Christos
QUOTE (Rumpus @ Jul 21 2008, 07:48 PM) *
YOUR WRONG!! Jumpus knows EVERYTHING!!!

hahaha

That's what he keeps telling everyone. This could go the other way and no one will speak to him. sad_smile.gif
oz man
If your so determined well ring David iof Tabma which I have PM you.
He may have an electrician or a Timber related trainee or apprenticeship going,and what Tabma stands for is Timber and Building Materials Association,which if you get on there you will never have to worry about the employer as they will transfer you to another within the group if the original employer has trouble.
I got a friends son on as an apprentice saw doctors with Dave about 5 years ago, now he his full qualified and on about $100,000 a year.
He may have an apprenticeship in anything from a florist to a wood machinist as the Association is damn big , he offered my daughter before she got pregnant a trainee ship in Florist or an apprenticeship in horticulturist , so the variety is big.
jack
QUOTE (Rumpus @ Jul 21 2008, 07:48 PM) *
and i HATE dealing with the general public!! Dead set, they are idiots!

Calling me an idiot huh......

Better keep looking over your shoulder hysterical.gif

Jack
TomMc
Ive been told theres apprenticeships you do while attending year 11 + 12 at school?
you go to school for some time then work for some time.
Does anyone have any information on this?
cheers fellas
kkw
Tom.
wouldn't it be more self motivating to go and ask your careers advisor at school? Lots of members have given you lots of info and options. Find out some stuff for yourself as well. Have you spoken to your parents about your plans?
I have some advice for you though - don't join the Police. You need a diploma, hsc and/or a trade certificate if you don't have the previous two, so it is irrelevant at this time anyhow. Good luck.

(Anyone know a refrigeration mechanic?)
oz man
There is apprenticeships and traineeships you can do while at school and it all goes towards your HSC , but ask your Careers advisor and I,m glad you rang Dave he will help a lot if he thinks there is a trainee ship or apprenticeship available for you. He is actually the one that will be your overseer for TABMA.
TomMc
Thanks!
I head back to school tomorrow so ill speak to him then.
Jumpus GooDarus
QUOTE (TomMc @ Jul 22 2008, 05:41 PM) *
Ive been told theres apprenticeships you do while attending year 11 + 12 at school?
you go to school for some time then work for some time.
Does anyone have any information on this?
cheers fellas

They are a waste of time & you're better off getting your old job back @ KFC laugh.gif

I tried one of these traineeship chappy's once got rid of him the very same day.

Tom a classroom cant teach you the trades that you are targeting pursue these classroom trades & you'll find yourself caught up in the old

I cant get a job cause I've got no on hand expirience syndrone.

You cant substitute hands on expirience for a classroom
oz man
JUMPY This is not one of the ones your thinking of , it's run by the members of the timber and associate industries , and they charge nothing to him but a small fee to the member for doing the work and taking the paperwork side of the apprenticeship away from the employer.
They do the overseering of the apprenticship etc and pay him direct not the employer, so at any time the employer has trouble fininacial he doesn't loss his apprenticeship the group finds a spot .
Jumpus GooDarus
Irrelevant what these traineeships do oz, they are still a total waste of time.

I gather you dont get paid to do them ?????

After all an apprenticeship is all about getting a job & people get a job to earn a living not to work for love.

Again I'm refering to trades people & the trades Tom has signalled out , each employer has his own way of how he wants his appentices to turn out thats why that employerindentures his apprentice for the 4 year term.

The 1st couple of years the apprentice virtually costs the employer money cause they're as usefull as tits are on a bull & the only benefit to employers are that the apprentice is cheap labour.

In those 2 years alot of apprentices cant hack it either & want to change careers cause it's boring & they cop shite,but if they hang in there their 3rd year starts becoming alot better with the employer entrusting them to start working on their own giving them jobs of interest etc.

Pluck one of these trinee's from school & what do you have ???

A 18 + yo who's as usefull as tits on a bull & thinks he knows something which is definately not the case

Like I said not in the trades Tom has elected & he's better off gettiong a job somewhere else doing whatever till a apprentice position comes up, @ least that way he'll be earning a wage & have something of a job to put on his resamay.

The impression I get is that school is a last resort & he's not really interested in attending it any further hence I deem it a waste of time it gets back to what I said earlier.

If your hearts not in it then you shouldn't be doing it
TomMc
I went to a carrers market today and it has really showen me alot of options.
currently i am sorting through all the information and deciding which path is the best for me.
Oz i saw David today and he was a great help!
Thanks
Jumpus GooDarus
Tom !

Give AAMI a ring laugh.gif laugh.gif
TomMc
Just to give you all an update...
I went to a interview today for an appreticeship through one of them companies that look after everything for you and the employer,
It looks promising, the bloke said my resume and school reports were excelent and he is keen to find me an apprenticeship,
he told me he is going to speak to a plumbing company in my area and told me they should be able to give me one through it.
Ive got an interview this saturday for railcorp and an interview on monday for a technology college were you do years 11+12 plus 1 year of your apprenticeship offer 2 years.
Ive applied for over 20 aprenticeships now so before i apply for any more im just going to wait a month and see which companies get back to me about my applications.
Cheers to everyone who has posted in this thread!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.