Reply to this topicStart new topic
> But Ugly Or Not
poly
post Feb 9 2008, 06:29 PM
Post #1

the yack man

Group: Donator

Member No.: 4

in my travels around the net i came across this boat builder in Q.L.D. building boats from 2.4mts to 10mts this is the 6mt open cc model my research would serguest that they are very well made and very sea worthy, but could you live with a boat that is less than pleasing to the eye

some stats
oceancraft 6000
power tohatsu 70hp 2stroke
beam 2.4m
weight 280kg
min hp 50
max 115
options you name it
price bmt $34.995

--------------------
bugger it's sold,got meself a house instead

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Feb 9 2008, 06:47 PM
Post #2

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

I reckon those Stabi craft have been hit a few to many times with the FUGLY Stick laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
poly
post Feb 9 2008, 07:06 PM
Post #3

the yack man

J.G. it dose look like a Stabi but its not these are built here in oz and differ from the stabi.

stabi use a D shape module so they can give more space and grater internal beam were as oceancraft use the hole cylinder and that is at a cost to internal space

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Feb 9 2008, 09:05 PM
Post #4

*FruitLoop* 53

Member No.: 3

yep, butt uglt...

The stabis are getting better, they have found a few ways to improve but still are ugly...

they definatly dont have enough fishing room though...

+Quote Post
poly
post Feb 9 2008, 10:12 PM
Post #5

the yack man

Rum they would have to be a very stable boat to fish from and at that price for a 6mt boat they will be hard to go past
with a top speed of 25.2nts from a 70hp motor i would think very cheap to run as well biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

P.S. the thing is i just don't like the look of them, do u think it would affect the resale much.

This post has been edited by poly: Feb 9 2008, 10:16 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Feb 9 2008, 10:25 PM
Post #6

His Eminance

Had a looky @ those STAI's @ the goat show

What I didn't like was their finish, They use extrusion which is mitred then welded down the sides & that's where I think they get their FUGLYNESS from

Also believe using extrusion rather than sheet/plate you'll be alot more prone to corrosion it's a different grade of alloy.

Same as the boat in your pic poly that's extrusion used in it's design.

On the topic of FUGLYNESS not as bad as the STABI but tell you's what I reckon those BARCRUSHER'S have a FUGLY looking cabin in their Hardtop versions, cabins look way out of proportion to the rest of the boat.

--------------------

+Quote Post
poly
post Feb 9 2008, 10:33 PM
Post #7

the yack man

to be honest i have never seen a barcrusher in the flesh, but i would think any boat that needs water blast to improve stability at rest has some design flaws in it

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bees Knees
post Feb 9 2008, 11:37 PM
Post #8

Twoeyesea

Group: Members

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Feb 10 2008, 05:25 PM) *
Also believe using extrusion rather than sheet/plate you'll be alot more prone to corrosion it's a different grade of alloy.

If your buying your extrusion from the mill. You have a choice of grade i think. I can tell where my metal comes from when it comes to me anodised. All comes down to $$$ and the market at the time of purchase.

In saying that... In my opinion.. its possible to have 2 of the same boats with different grades of corrosion over the same lifespan because of what one supplier could buy his metal at the time of purchase. Next month it's from a different mill.

I have a photo somewhere of 7 lengths of the same metal in 7 different colours. All anodised at the same time.

But in poly's photo, i'm pretty sure that boat has both plate and extrusion

This post has been edited by Bees Knees: Feb 9 2008, 11:39 PM

--------------------
Don't hate me, cause you ain't me... :)

+Quote Post
poly
post Feb 9 2008, 11:56 PM
Post #9

the yack man

o.k. you and j.g will have to try and explain what will happen when the two types of alloy are used to gather, dose it mean that the boat could fall to bits over time dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bees Knees
post Feb 10 2008, 12:15 AM
Post #10

Twoeyesea

QUOTE (poly @ Feb 10 2008, 06:56 PM) *
o.k. you and j.g will have to try and explain what will happen when the two types of alloy are used to gather, dose it mean that the boat could fall to bits over time dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif

I'm still learning mate, but they wont fall apart. If i look at the plate boats, they have angles fitted to finish the edges. All angles are extruded.

I'm no expert so i was having a stab with the 2 different alloys, but the pontoons on the boat would be sheet thats rolled and welded. But thats Checkerplate inside

What i was trying to get out.. but its hard to type what can be explained over a quick beer.. is that there is different grades of alloy over each boat.

JG will sort this out for us

This post has been edited by Bees Knees: Feb 10 2008, 12:20 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Feb 10 2008, 12:44 AM
Post #11

His Eminance

I forget the codes think marine grade sheet is a 5056 but dont quote me

What I meant by my earlier comment was that sheet/plate is a cleaner alloy than extrusion all got to do with the manufacturing process.

And it's just been my personal observations over the years that with extrusion it corrodes alot quicher & easier than in sheet/plate form it may also be because the extrusion generally has alot more weldind done to it ???

Good example of what I'm refering to is , take a simple tinny for example the extrusion used to cap off the side skins well every tinny I've lookes @ has corrosion on that extrusion another good example areitems like rails , rocket launchers etc etc how many times have you seen the paint bubbling up due to corrosion buildup underneath ????????

Bee's the extrusion you're refering to is all the same , anodising is just a protective coating that's all,

The colours ??? well they come in what ever you order the extrusion as for example bronze anodied, clear anodied, gold anodied etc etc all that i, is the pigments they use in the solution.

However you will get different shades of colour if the alloy to be anodised dosn't have the same finish, & ideally the alloy should be pretty well polishished to get the same consistancy in colouring, I have seen different shades of colour on the same piece of extrusion & that was prob because it had started oxidising in certain spots prior to anodising.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bees Knees
post Feb 10 2008, 01:35 AM
Post #12

Twoeyesea

QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Feb 10 2008, 07:44 PM) *
I forget the codes think marine grade sheet is a 5056 but dont quote me

What I meant by my earlier comment was that sheet/plate is a cleaner alloy than extrusion all got to do with the manufacturing process.

And it's just been my personal observations over the years that with extrusion it corrodes alot quicher & easier than in sheet/plate form it may also be because the extrusion generally has alot more weldind done to it ???

Good example of what I'm refering to is , take a simple tinny for example the extrusion used to cap off the side skins well every tinny I've lookes @ has corrosion on that extrusion another good example areitems like rails , rocket launchers etc etc how many times have you seen the paint bubbling up due to corrosion buildup underneath ????????

Yep, totally agree there JG.. It's hard for me to explain sometimes

This post has been edited by Bees Knees: Feb 10 2008, 02:51 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bees Knees
post Feb 10 2008, 01:47 AM
Post #13

Twoeyesea

QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Feb 10 2008, 07:44 PM) *
Bee's the extrusion you're refering to is all the same , anodising is just a protective coating that's all,

The colours ??? well they come in what ever you order the extrusion as for example bronze anodied, clear anodied, gold anodied etc etc all that i, is the pigments they use in the solution.

However you will get different shades of colour if the alloy to be anodised dosn't have the same finish, & ideally the alloy should be pretty well polishished to get the same consistancy in colouring, I have seen different shades of colour on the same piece of extrusion & that was prob because it had started oxidising in certain spots prior to anodising.

This is where i disagree.

I understand the anodising process. It is not a coating like paint.. It's etched with electrolysis (spell). I can have 7 Different lengths of the same shape of extrusion and after they are dipped in the tank @ the same time, for the same duration.. we have 7 different shades of metal. I have to reject some of it because its chalk and cheese. They all show similar microns but are totally different shades.

Its the grade of metal that you buy. if the aluminium content is different in each batch, it will show in anodising. Obviously not in powdercoat though

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Feb 10 2008, 02:38 AM
Post #14

His Eminance

I understand the anodising process. It is not a coating like paint.. It's etched with electrolysis (spell).

That is correct !

But none theless anodising is still a coating think that's where you didn't understand what I meant, scratch that coating & you expose the alloy no different to having something chrome plated the process is still called electoplated but scratch the chrome coating & whats exposed ??

The steel , alloy , brass etc & in the case of it being steel rust , brass will tarnish etc etc

I can have 7 Different lengths of the same shape of extrusion and after they are dipped in the tank @ the same time, for the same duration.. we have 7 different shades of metal

Yep & like you said if those lengths aren't from the same batch colour will differ, so will if the wall thickness's aren't the same

Obviously not in powdercoat though

Nope powder coating is just paint & only way colour will differ is if colour match on the paint is not the same & if I recalled powder coating has another name Electro Static metal is conditioned to make it static to the paint have seen it done but that was many moons ago

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bees Knees
post Feb 10 2008, 02:50 AM
Post #15

Twoeyesea

QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Feb 10 2008, 09:38 PM) *
That is correct !

But none theless anodising is still a coating think that's where you didn't understand what I meant, scratch that coating & you expose the alloy no different to having something chrome plated the process is still called electoplated but scratch the chrome coating & whats exposed ??

The steel , alloy , brass etc & in the case of it being steel rust , brass will tarnish etc etc

Yep & like you said if those lengths aren't from the same batch colour will differ, so will if the wall thickness's aren't the same

Nope powder coating is just paint & only way colour will differ is if colour match on the paint is not the same & if I recalled powder coating has another name Electro Static metal is conditioned to make it static to the paint have seen it done but that was many moons ago

Back to the top of the class for you Jumpy.. You seem to be able to explain these things in writing really well. I struggle with it. My hat is off biggrin.gif

I'm of to bed. 5 more sleeps to Currarong. fish.gif 22.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Feb 10 2008, 01:45 PM
Post #16

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 13

I DUNNO about BUTT UGLY, but it sure makes my BUTT sore just looking at the seating positions, and there's not much room to move around.

I wonder if they make a SUMO model with more room and Padded seats.

--------------------
I WANNA GO: FISHIN WITH SUMO.

+Quote Post
poly
post Feb 11 2008, 08:21 PM
Post #17

the yack man

QUOTE (SUMOFISHIN @ Feb 11 2008, 08:45 AM) *
I DUNNO about BUTT UGLY, but it sure makes my BUTT sore just looking at the seating positions, and there's not much room to move around.

I wonder if they make a SUMO model with more room and Padded seats.

there web site said they would build it to your own specks, here take a look at what they can build

http://www.oceancraft.org/

--------------------

+Quote Post
poly
post Feb 11 2008, 08:27 PM
Post #18

the yack man

QUOTE (Bees Knees @ Feb 10 2008, 09:50 PM) *
Back to the top of the class for you Jumpy.. You seem to be able to explain these things in writing really well. I struggle with it. My hat is off biggrin.gif

I'm of to bed. 5 more sleeps to Currarong. fish.gif 22.gif

O.K. what dose this all mean,will it shorten the life span of the boat or can this problem be over come in some way, painting or some other type of coating ?????????

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bees Knees
post Feb 11 2008, 10:42 PM
Post #19

Twoeyesea

QUOTE (poly @ Feb 12 2008, 03:27 PM) *
O.K. what dose this all mean,will it shorten the life span of the boat or can this problem be over come in some way, painting or some other type of coating ?????????

Good pre-treatment of the paint and washing your boat everytime its out of the water and if its sitting there for a while, IMO you'll never have a drama..

We use a product from Dulux called Duratec. Its a powdercoat that has a warrantee up to 15 years on
it. But the owners have an obligation to wash their windows nearly as often as a (some people) car.

If we dont look after things, the lifespan will always be shorter.

That reminds me, i have to go for a cigarette. Be back soon mad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
poly
post Feb 11 2008, 10:55 PM
Post #20

the yack man

QUOTE (Bees Knees @ Feb 12 2008, 05:42 PM) *
Good pre-treatment of the paint and washing your boat everytime its out of the water and if its sitting there for a while, IMO you'll never have a drama..

We use a product from Dulux called Duratec. Its a powdercoat that has a warrantee up to 15 years on
it. But the owners have an obligation to wash their windows nearly as often as a (some people) car.

If we dont look after things, the lifespan will always be shorter.

That reminds me, i have to go for a cigarette. Be back soon mad.gif

bees is it possible to powdercoat a 6m boat ????????????

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2024 - 04:32 AM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates