Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sth Oz
Fishing oz style > Chat > Outings
Jumpus GooDarus
This thread was started because we hijaked poor Benny's thread about lures laugh.gif laugh.gif

I've been wanting to go fish Sth Oz for those monster Reds for many years now & damn it this year I'm going so any feedback on methods, tops things to look out for post here.

As well as anybody else interested in fishing Wyalla for those Reds
fish
Ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto and what I said b4 dry.gif
SUMOFISHIN
OK JG, I'm in you had better start working things out, now if we take the Motorhome we can fit four very comfortably, five or six at a pinch. will tow a car trailer of boat. Turbo Isuzu does 1200klms per tank 300ltrs. or have camping gear plus 4wd Rodeo dual cab. don't know what gear others have but I think that's what's got to be organised. shit I'm hyped up now I'm going to bed.
Jumpus GooDarus
QUOTE (fish @ Apr 25 2007, 08:42 PM) *
Ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto and what I said b4 dry.gif

An Den ???

An Den ???

laugh.gif laugh.gif

Yeah should be a very good expirience something about big Reds in shallow water that gets me all hyped up completely different to catching them in the deeper water.

Many years ago we used to get them in Botany Bay not as big as the Sth Oz ones but 3 - 4 kg snapper were the norm & every now & then you'd get a thumper come through great fun on light tackle & a soght for sore eyes esp when the sun had set last 1/2 hr B4 dark.

You'd see ot that unmistakenable red colour riddled with those blue dots miss those big reds.
SUMOFISHIN
Hey JG, you better find out if they still catch them there, I haven't seen much of them of late.
Jumpus GooDarus
Well SUMO as you know I'm retired except for a bit of work I've been doing lately which should be finished in about 6 weeks.

I'm actually surprised so much interest already years ago it was all us mates & if we said we were going somewhere we went but peeps get married etc etc etc & I haven't organised a trip for ages.

I tend to wake up make up my mind & go do it cause every time I have organised a trip everybody bails out last minute.

Now with this trip my plans would be to stay around 3 - 4 weeks dont expect anyone else to follow suit but I have time on my hands & back in the other thread I said I was willing to have my Big boat trucked down saves towing it think this is a better option.

Last time I was in Sth Oz was to pick up my Landcruiser FJ40 & drive it back to Sydney via Cobar where me & STEVE.P were to meet some mates it was a shooting trip.

I drove 1st 10 hrs & after some extentive hadding by STEVE.P let him take the wheel while I had a snooze only took TheBloodyBumShitBugger about an hr & he'd hit a cow & rolled us twice with the 4WD landing back on it's wheels bent & twisted.

Might be an idea for those who are interested to state how long they can get away for ? this will make it easier to sort things out + Wodger lives in the Banana Repulic need an idea how he plans to make way down to where ??
Jumpus GooDarus
QUOTE (SUMOFISHIN @ Apr 25 2007, 09:00 PM) *
Hey JG, you better find out if they still catch them there, I haven't seen much of them of late.

October is Prime Time SUMO that's when they roll up

No good looking @ current reports
SUMOFISHIN
OK JG, Im now retired too, and four weeks sounds fine to me, by the way that little episode just happened to me week before Easter, had 6 of us going to Awoonga and five pulled out at the last minute lucky I found another or I would have gone alone. no worries with Woger he can come to my place and go from here. we can sort things out from here or travel together.
fish
HELLO,

Im ok for a week - 10 days B)

Fish biggrin.gif
SUMOFISHIN
Hey Fish, Its 1700klms from Sydney to Whyalla, I'd try to stretch that 10 to 21, my boss said ;;;;;;; Rack off your good at it.
poly
i try and see what i can do most likely 3 week and i will take my poly down to its a tight fit but i can fish 4 from the boat
SUMOFISHIN
Hey Poly, JG is talkin about shipping the big boat down.
poly
http://www.whereis.com/whereis/home.do;jse...C580D.server2-1
it will depend on how menny turn up it is 1500km from hear and about 1650 from sydney the sight can give u the km from your place
SUMOFISHIN
Hey Poly ,I use Travelmate they're almost the same. But I know how to get to Whyalla I did my apprenticeship in Iron Baron between Iron Knob and Whyalla, Used to drive taxis in Whyalla In my spare time and Drive home to Huskisson every 4 weeks for a week off.
Jumpus GooDarus
Teah guys !

The reason I said 3 - 4 weeks is very simple

Mainly because if fish are early/late by a week haven't wasted my time + you dont want to fish every day ? laugh.gif laugh.gif

Reason I even considered trucking the big boat down was cause I was speaking with someone the other day who's been down to sth Oz & they told me some of the spots are a fair hike & I like my comfort zone.

Hey Roger

You're better off just flying straight down dont know if that's what you intended doing
poly
how ruff can spencer gulf get would a 4.1 poly handle it
fish
Yes that was my plan to plane B)
Jumpus GooDarus
QUOTE (poly @ Apr 26 2007, 05:58 PM) *
how ruff can spencer gulf get would a 4.1 poly handle it

Buggered if I know poly laugh.gif

No different to any other place if the weather turns sour then it will get rough that's why I thought of sending the bigger boat down

Yes that was my plan to plane

Only way to do it otherwize 1/2 your trip is wasted on the road
STEVE.P
QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Apr 25 2007, 09:13 PM) *
I drove 1st 10 hrs & after some extentive hadding by STEVE.P let him take the wheel while I had a snooze only took TheBloodyBumShitBugger about an hr & he'd hit a cow & rolled us twice with the 4WD landing back on it's wheels bent & twisted.

That cow jumped out from behind a tree with a shot gun and was wearing a hood.
so I said bugger you your not getting this 4WD and I ramed him.
Rolling over him twice, just to make sure, If we could'nt have it neither was he
Jumpus GooDarus
I suppose a cow jumped out from behind a tree the time you rolled & wrote off my buggy as well ?????
STEVE.P
QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Apr 27 2007, 05:17 PM) *
I suppose a cow jumped out from behind a tree the time you rolled & wrote off my buggy as well ?????

No! word got out that I hit Jake the cow and they were out to get revenge.
any way his cousin elroy set up an ambush and come at me with a golf club.
He got me good

The moos brothers
Jumpus GooDarus
Just been doing a bit of googling on Whyalla trying to get some info

Ended up thinking best approach when in doubt or not sure as in this case since never fished the place B4 is to go fish with the locals for a day to get a run down on how things are done over there.

Then once that is done start to fish my way laugh.gif laugh.gif

So I've just sent a email to this mob

http://www.whyallafishingadventures.com.au/gallery.html

Asking best time of year, how long the run lasts etc etc

Think it wise to go do a charter for a day or 2 just to get the feel for the place then it's time to

Let Jumpaus @ Them laugh.gif laugh.gif
fish
Sounds like a Goodarus plan
SUMOFISHIN
JG, Try finding someone from Port Pirie, you might be able to get more info about it, Pirie is about 15klms straight across the gulf and about 150klms short of Whyalla, I think they must chase them frrom there too.
Jumpus GooDarus
http://www.fishsa.com/gpswhyll.php
SUMOFISHIN
Hey Jumpus, couldn't ask for a better location map than that, looking at the site locations they could be closer to Pirie than Whyalla. I always wondered why they called them Whyalla Snapper.
Jumpus GooDarus
If you're gonna do something SUMO then do it right

I'll get alot more info B4 heading down there just been coming home knackered & not in the mood to chase to much up @ present
SUMOFISHIN
HEY JG, I like to cover all options, and then keep my accounts open, Heres some co-ordinates I found showing fish species.Click to view attachment
SUMOFISHIN
Hey JG, I have been in touch with the Secretary of Steel City Fishing Club Whyalla he said that he should be able to help with any information, and has informed me that Snapper Fishing is BANNED for the month of November.
Jumpus GooDarus
Velly interesting SUMO WHEN DID THIS LAW COME INTO PLAY ?
Sounds like the spawning season & not sure they can stop you from fishing more so keeping the fish.
Find out a little more about it
Spudly
can get 10 days, including drive there and back...

if someone has a spot in the boat im in!!
SUMOFISHIN
JG, new regulation for Snapper including bag limits 2006, see GOOGLE;; SA fisheries regulations.
Hey Chad , you;ll have to try for another week at least.
Jumpus GooDarus
Got a return email from that charter mob I was refering to earlier

Hi,
Snapper run all year round but November due to a snapper closuer.

Winter has big fish ( the next few months)

Alsi was talking to someone I know 2day who told me a mate of his goes to Sth Oz every year top fish for the big Reds.

A little contradictive of the email cause he goes down in January.

When I've got some time I'll chase it up further, just a little tied up @ present
SUMOFISHIN
JG, somewhere on a site yesterday it said the run was from Spring to Autumn.
SUMOFISHIN
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.