Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Port Stepens Fishys
Spudly
post Jun 22 2014, 04:20 AM
Post #1

*FruitLoop* 53

Group: Donator

Member No.: 3

Towed the boat 1500kms last week to visit the inlaws (trip was so they could meet their new granchild) but I snuck out for a fishy!!

Was only there for 2.5 days, so will break it up..

Day 1, Went out shopping with the wife in the morn, picked up some bait and new 4lb fluro for the new Lox to play with. Put boat on water at about 2.30 at Raymond Terrace (ok its not offshore... YET!) Fished with the FIL for a few hours on a dropoff for a few small bream and a nice flatty 43cm. Spent most of the time spooling up and flicking the new rods about..

Day 2, Headed over to Port Stephens, Plan was to stop at Duffy's and get bait and head to Soldiers Point to launch.. Big wire fence around Duffy's so double back to Tackle world and pick their brains and some bait up. Finally launched at Soldiers Point. The westerly was pushing hard against the incoming tide, so fishing the oyster leases for bream was going to be tough, tried up one of the bays on a sand flat drop-off but tide was frustrating. Ended up fishing on the wreck in salamander bay, wind was a bit less there and plenty of bait on the sounder.. Caught some bream, all only around the 25cm mark but very fat and healthy, they all went back in the drink to grow bigger.

Day 3, The one I was waiting for the whole trip!!!! First time fishing at Broughton Island.. Got up early with a bit of a headache after Origin, but on the road none the less... Plan was to launch at little beach and get out there quickly. Low tide and ALOT of sand on the ramp and bogged the bloody thing.. Forgot to put the reverse break on the trailer. Anyways, a bit of help from a few people and boat was in the water. Hung about to make sure they got in incident free. Got out to broughton just after the sun came up and sounded around a few washes at coal shaft bay. Anchored and started burling. Caught plenty of fish, good sized blurters and a monster sgt baker. got sick of catching these things and tried a few spots for the best part of the morning but none of the elusive snappersaurus!

Headed back across the bay stopping at all the reefs and having a sound to see what was about. Finally found a nice Reef that seemed to be holding fish.. water was about m and rose up to m and there was some good signs. Started to burley and sent some floating baits down the trail on 6kg gear. First fish was a handy 35cm Snapper so things were looking much better! Second strike not long later was much better... First run was big and took a good 30m of line, then i got some back, not enough to see colour but it must have seen me and started swimming the other way again before finding second gear and stealing what seemed like another 100m of line.. Again i got some back but after a 5 min dual the hook pulled free and it was tim to start again... This happened another 2 times so decided it was time to get out a heavier rod and try and stop whatever was playing with me.. Id also scored a nice Yellowtail so out went the live bait under a balloon. Once the 15kg line was in the water started to land a few fish, More Snapper around the 35cm mark, but not the giant I was looking for. The Live bait did get hit and went for a run for 10 seconds, but as I picked up the rod and started to increase the drag the bait was dropped, didn?t even have a tooth mark in it?

About this time the wind changed and I was pushed off the mark, so up anchor (Oh, The tax man is buying me an electric winch, sick of doing it myself!!!) Done a few drifts over the mark and flicked some plastics for 1 last snapper. And it was time to pack up and head home. Had to wash the boat and drive the remaining 700 odd kms home the next day.. Would have killed to get back to this reef early the next morn for another crack at the mystery fish.. Snappersaurus or a bloody king who knows!!

Until next time anyways, word is YFT have started to hit down south so might be down that way in a few weeks to break in the boat on one of them!

Hope you enjoyed the read!

Thanks

Spud!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fed
post Jun 22 2014, 01:06 PM
Post #2

*Mr Shiny Head*

Group: Members

Member No.: 7

1500 Kms, a 3 day whistle stop trio to see the Inlaws and you go fishing for 3 days... hang onto your Missus Spud, she's a keeper.

--------------------

SEAFARER: Fine as a Fairy's Fart

+Quote Post
kkw
post Jun 22 2014, 02:10 PM
Post #3

" Master of Black Fish"(alias The Criminal)"

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 30

Yeah good fun up there Spud. I stayed on the island for a week a while back and we caught loads of fish. The fishing closure areas are a pain in the butt though and you have to be careful as the fisheries are ruthless. Hope you get out down south and nail a few good fish there.
p.s. Yeah, what Fed said. smile.gif

+Quote Post
nimrod
post Jun 22 2014, 04:29 PM
Post #4

Marlin

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 1,004

good one Spud. I've towed further for less, you done well getting that much time on the water and to catch some decent fish is a bonus.
Too many Whales about at the moment so you will have to go wide for your Fin but there are some out there.

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post
poly
post Jun 22 2014, 08:03 PM
Post #5

the yack man

Member No.: 4

I'm jealous tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif lol

--------------------
bugger it's sold,got meself a house instead

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Jun 22 2014, 08:38 PM
Post #6

*FruitLoop* 53

Member No.: 3

Yea she is a goodin!!

Heaps of whales out there!

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jun 22 2014, 10:22 PM
Post #7

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

I got it from a GooDarus reliable sauce [fountain]
Ewe came home with only Huffa Cow
Cause that's all ewe could fit in that Huffa goat of yours

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th August 2024 - 01:54 PM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates