Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lakes Entrance Victoria
nimrod
post Mar 23 2010, 06:18 PM
Post #1

Marlin

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 1,004

Well I'm convinced the Lakes Entrance area is a fish nursery. Caught hundreds of fish and the biggest
I got was a 37cm Flattie.
I blame the Vic fisheries for this with their pathetic size limits, down there you can keep a 27cm Flattie
and a 23cm Bream, the poor little buggers don't get a chance to grow up.
I'm sure there are breeders within the system cause there is no shortage of small fish .
I got sick of catching them and after the 3rd day I decided it was better to stay at home and do some
drinking and socializing.
I had a successful few hours prawning although I went about it the hard way ( learn as you go ) .
While I was there I had the use of a 12 ft tinnie with 25 electric start motor all to myself and I done
quiet a bit of exploring for the first 3 days, but realised to be successful in the area you would need
some local knowledge and a fair bit of time to get to know the area and it's moods. It seemed like
every person I spoke to, to try and gain some knowledge of the area were tourists like myself.
The local tackle shop was not at all helpful seem that I didn't have a hand full of stuff to buy, trying to get some
information out of him was like extracting teeth.
Like any new spot unless you get put onto a spot by someone that knows the system it's all experiment
and exploration, unfortunately I wasn't there long enough to unravel the systems secrets.
I had a terriffic week with some close friends and my hosts spoilt me rotten the whole week.
My mate only bought the house there about 6 months ago and has been flat out painting and
doing bits and pieces and hasn't spent much time on the water, so he was not a terrible lot of help
in the hot spot area.
We didn't get to go offshore as we were more interested in exploring the lakes system.
We had one session of a couple of hours in Lake Tyres and we got some huge Tailor, but they were very
dirty looking tailor and we figured they have been land locked for a long time and would not be suitable
for the table, so we released them. The smell around the boat ramp was like rotten flesh ( oysters that
had dried up ) so you could imagine what the fish would taste like.
I had a wonderful week with some good friends and that's what it is all about.
During the whole trip I only bothered to take a picture of one very small very greedy little spikie Flathead just to
show how greedy these little buggers are the lure ( soft plastic ) was almost as big as itself.

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
poly
post Mar 23 2010, 08:39 PM
Post #2

the yack man

Group: Donator

Member No.: 4

g'day mate nice report, i have only fished the lake once and got some nice bream to 40cm and that was around the Hollands Landing boat ramp, did you get over to that side of the lake ????????

Paul

--------------------
bugger it's sold,got meself a house instead

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Mar 24 2010, 01:11 AM
Post #3

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (nimrod @ Mar 24 2010, 01:18 PM) *
It seemed like
every person I spoke to, to try and gain some knowledge of the area were tourists like myself.
The local tackle shop was not at all helpful seem that I didn't have a hand full of stuff to buy, trying to get some
information out of him was like extracting teeth.

Yep I coped that last weekend

I let every ting I was told go in wun ear & out the other hysterical.gif

Those guys talk rubbish & only generalise wot others have told them & it's prob 2 week old news to boot

I do believe that to be successfull tis wise to get shown rather than told where to catch the wittle fishys spots are just that SPOTS & every wun has it's wittle secrets.

Oh well as long as ewe had a good time thats all that counts

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th June 2024 - 06:42 AM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates