Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Questions About Lighter Leaders?
Joey
post Feb 24 2010, 07:23 PM
Post #1

Garfish

Group: Members

Member No.: 3,125

If Flourocarbon leader is sold as invisible to fish, why do I read in mags and on the net etc that switching to a lighter leader will help you catch more fish. I know that everyone says fish as light as possible and that understandable to some extent but I read where someone who used 8lb leader swtiched to 4lb and started to catch fish after a slow day, Im currently using a 4lb braid with 8lb leader because Ive been told to use heavier leader than my main line. What I dont get is if its invisible what would 4lb difference make. They are not meant to be able to see it anyway.
Thanks to those who can help.......
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
catchnrelease
post Feb 24 2010, 08:14 PM
Post #2

*Bi Catch*

Member No.: 11

Lighter lines are harder for fish to see. 'Invisible' is a bit of an exaggeration. Fluorocarbon is just very hard to see.

--------------------
DANCE!

+Quote Post
alex
post Feb 24 2010, 09:04 PM
Post #3

Snapper

Member No.: 2,587

not only that joey but it can make a bait look more natural as lighter leader isnt as "stiff" so the bait can more around a bit more.

--------------------
Of all marlin species the pacific blue is KING. Nothing runs as fast jumps as high or goes totally ballistic like a blue.

Its not that you find A BLUE - A BLUE finds you

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Feb 24 2010, 09:29 PM
Post #4

*FruitLoop* 53

Group: Donator

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (alex @ Feb 25 2010, 03:04 PM) *
not only that joey but it can make a bait look more natural as lighter leader isnt as "stiff" so the bait can more around a bit more.

+1

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Feb 25 2010, 01:51 AM
Post #5

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

Me Tinks it's because people talk out of their arsehles 2B honest hysterical.gif

They look for every excuse to blame their poor fishing abilities on

There's times fish just wont go on the chew & there's not much ewe can do about it

The bit about fluro being invisable ??

Well it very well may be true I just dont know

Wot I do know is that fush dont see colour like we do, they see shades of that colour so that's where the invisible theory comes from line is supposed to blend in with colour of water.

I do use fluro carbon as leader material only cause it's tougher wearing than mono

And yes the ligher ewe go in line class ewe do increase your chances of bites cause the lighter line dosn't sink as quick as heavier line & there's less line drag in the water when a fush picks up the bait.

BUT thats the mainline only, leader is to short to have any impact on that theory

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
Joey
post Feb 25 2010, 12:48 PM
Post #6

Garfish

Member No.: 3,125

So your tip Jumpus would be to use a lighter gauge braid possibly to slow the sink rate down. On the rod and reel im using its purely soft plastic and light lure stick.

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Feb 25 2010, 01:07 PM
Post #7

*FruitLoop* 53

Group: Donator

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Joey @ Feb 26 2010, 06:48 AM) *
So your tip Jumpus would be to use a lighter gauge braid possibly to slow the sink rate down. On the rod and reel im using its purely soft plastic and light lure stick.

Nooooo, joey you said the B word!!!! Lookout!!! hahaaha

What are you currently using and what are you chasing with it?

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Feb 25 2010, 01:29 PM
Post #8

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

Never really been a big fan of braid & gotten into sum big arguements about the stuff mainly because I hate hearing stupity from those who do use it

Bottom line with braid it does have a finer dia so ewe can get more line capacity onto the spool advantage on the big reels when chasing fush like YFT
BUT ewe must be wary when spooling 4 the 1st time, I tend to overspool then on 1st trip out tie a wittle ball sinker on let all the braid off the spool behind the goat whilst driving , once all out crank it all back on still whilst the boat is moving, this packs the braid back on tight & ewe elliminate braid digging back into itself which can & reselt in a pop off when fighting a fush.

Not so much a prob on the lighter braids as ewe dont have as much drag set on the reels

I've only just started using braid again on a few of my spin sticks & still think a good mono is just as good as braid BUT I dont do wot alot of peeps do with braid & that's top shot the spool I spool up all braid.

Mono loses 5% strength @ knots whereas braid loses 50% that's why braid is rated @ knot strength & gives ewe the wrong illusion it's super strong stuff, braid also frays alot easier than mono if it starts to touch reef etc so it's not as 4giving.

Definately dont like or use braid when baitfishing as I'm over reef most of the time + it tangles to easily for my liking if coming into contact with other lines.

Only reason I've started using braid again on the light spin sticks was because a few had been coming back with snaped tips & wanted to suzz out why ??

Wot I found was the braid had this bad habit of twisting itself around the tip area of the rods & peeps got a bit heavy handed trying to untangle it shit I even snapped a tip doing this.

Didn't have this prob with mono as it does have a memory & seems to not want to tangle on the rod tip.

For the life of me I still cant understand why rod manufacturers use those teeny weeny guides on the rods & that's a big prob when tying leader to main line so best to have a shortish leader which dosen't go through the guides when casting.

So your tip Jumpus would be to use a lighter gauge braid possibly to slow the sink rate down

Nope !

Fish aren't generally on the surface & it's the jig head size ewe select which will determine how quick line sinks

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th June 2024 - 06:35 AM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates