Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Burning Metal
Christos
post Feb 17 2010, 04:13 PM
Post #1

Kokino Vraka

Group: Members

Member No.: 220

I was going to wait a little longer until I got a little further into the course but I have something to share.

I am doing a Metal Welding course.

Started last week and that was the safety video, safety gear, the intro and walk around the welding machines that we were going to use.

This week we actually got to start on Oxy Acetylene and again some instruction on use. I was off to do my first bead.

After lighting and relighting the torch I got what was a good flame. Started the run on the flat metal place (1.8mm thick) and yep you guessed it. No where near as straight and even put holes in the metal as it melted away. smile1.gif

Did my second one. Better no holes. Another one after lighting the torch for the forth time. hysterical.gif Got heaps of practise lighting the flame. hysterical.gif

Then the teacher asked us to do a butt joint. So away I went. Not good joint when you can pull away by hand. hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

Got it right the after the firth attempt. Still more practice could be better.

Then did an angle joint. Getting better then started to melt the metal. hysterical.gif

Another week of this Oxy and we move to the next piece of equipment.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nimrod
post Feb 17 2010, 06:24 PM
Post #2

Marlin

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 1,004

QUOTE (Christos @ Feb 18 2010, 11:13 AM) *
I was going to wait a little longer until I got a little further into the course but I have something to share.

I am doing a Metal Welding course.

Started last week and that was the safety video, safety gear, the intro and walk around the welding machines that we were going to use.

This week we actually got to start on Oxy Acetylene and again some instruction on use. I was off to do my first bead.

After lighting and relighting the torch I got what was a good flame. Started the run on the flat metal place (1.8mm thick) and yep you guessed it. No where near as straight and even put holes in the metal as it melted away. smile1.gif

Did my second one. Better no holes. Another one after lighting the torch for the forth time. hysterical.gif Got heaps of practise lighting the flame. hysterical.gif

Then the teacher asked us to do a butt joint. So away I went. Not good joint when you can pull away by hand. hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

Got it on the after the firth attempt. Still more practice could be better.

Then did an angle joint. Getting better then started to melt the metal. hysterical.gif

Another week of this Oxy and we move to the next piece of equipment.

Christos. Stay with it mate, as you learn the basics of metal joining you will learn many things, it's a good thing to learn.
Even the general basics is good to know and will help you throughiut your life with knowing some important things about
different metals.
I believe every male person should learn the basics.

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post
Majed
post Feb 17 2010, 08:48 PM
Post #3

*TheUnderTaker*

Member No.: 5

Watch out Jumpus....you have a new competitor in the welding trade..... hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

Soon Christos will be making his own boats.... hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

--------------------
FISHING beats Working

+Quote Post
salty fil
post Feb 17 2010, 11:22 PM
Post #4

*Suretus Anus*

Member No.: 2,582

Good on ya Chris.
Its something ive always wanted to learn, when i find time to go do it.
Being a steel fixer i have no probs using an oxy to cut up steel, but i wana learn how to put the stuff back together.
Franks right, every bloke should know the basics.

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Feb 18 2010, 12:02 AM
Post #5

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

Found a pic of Darth Christos welding away

Christos where on earth did ewe get that welding helmut from ???hysterical.gif
Attached File(s)
Attached File  darth.jpg ( 90.38K ) Number of downloads: 18

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
Christos
post Feb 18 2010, 08:09 PM
Post #6

Kokino Vraka

QUOTE (Majed @ Feb 18 2010, 03:48 PM) *
Watch out Jumpus....you have a new competitor in the welding trade.....

Little steps or tiny steps. Trying not to cause too much

QUOTE (salty fil @ Feb 18 2010, 06:22 PM) *
Franks right, every bloke should know the basics.

I have been meaning to do this for a little while now. As you said it was a matter of time to allocate to this.

At the end of the first Oxy session the instructor asked what do people think. I gave an answer of how nervous I was being the first time lighting the torch. Started to get used to it after the tenth time of lighting it. I sort of heard the same from others and how they felt doing this for the first time. Another person had similar experience as me with melting the metal instead of fusion. hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

And yes I did take it with me for show and tell. Just do not have a camera so have to carry it around and show people.

I get some strange reaction from people when I pull this out of my pocket. Before that I do ask if they have access to internet and when they say yes. I show them what I made. So many millions to tell.

Got to go. I see someone that I do not know. smile1.gif

+Quote Post
Fed
post Feb 18 2010, 08:41 PM
Post #7

*Mr Shiny Head*

Member No.: 7

Did you make some black 'FLOATIES' in the air and make the tip go 'BANG' to scare them?

--------------------

SEAFARER: Fine as a Fairy's Fart

+Quote Post
Christos
post Feb 18 2010, 10:51 PM
Post #8

Kokino Vraka

QUOTE (Fed @ Feb 19 2010, 03:41 PM) *
Did you make some black 'FLOATIES' in the air and make the tip go 'BANG' to scare them?

O Yeah.

I was not alone. smile1.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th August 2024 - 04:50 PM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates