Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Goat
Jumpus GooDarus
post Aug 20 2008, 04:27 AM
Post #1

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

Well guys I've been seriously thinking about getting a new goat after seeing a bit of corrosion coming back out of the hull.

Some may remember I did a complete rebuild a couple of years back & thought it time for a new hull.

Prob end up going a bit bigger this time as well

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Aug 20 2008, 05:41 AM
Post #2

*FruitLoop* 53

Group: Donator

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Aug 20 2008, 10:27 PM) *
Well guys I've been seriously thinking about getting a new goat after seeing a bit of corrosion coming back out of the hull.

Some may remember I did a complete rebuild a couple of years back & thought it time for a new hull.

As long as you do me a good price on your boat im more than happy for you to get a new one? tongue.gif

Will you buy a hull and fitout yourself? Will you steal gear from the old boat?

+Quote Post
Bees Knees
post Aug 20 2008, 02:24 PM
Post #3

Twoeyesea

Group: Members

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Aug 20 2008, 10:27 PM) *

Is the corrosion repairable? Keep me posted Jumpy dry.gif dry.gif

--------------------
Don't hate me, cause you ain't me... :)

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Aug 20 2008, 03:57 PM
Post #4

His Eminance

Not really Jed

I spent a few months digging out the corrosion 2 years back & it's slowly coming back I dont want to go through all that again & think it's time for a new goat.

I have to decide what hull I want order it bare then fit it out the way I want it spray it then transfer all the gear over from current boat

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bees Knees
post Aug 20 2008, 04:16 PM
Post #5

Twoeyesea

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Aug 21 2008, 09:57 AM) *
Not really Jed

I spent a few months digging out the corrosion 2 years back & it's slowly coming back I dont want to go through all that again & think it's time for a new goat.

I have to decide what hull I want order it bare then fit it out the way I want it spray it then transfer all the gear over from current boat

go glass pal poke.gif I know you want to hysterical.gif

--------------------
Don't hate me, cause you ain't me... :)

+Quote Post
nimrod
post Aug 20 2008, 05:10 PM
Post #6

Marlin

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 1,004

Fisher are a great hull and they will build it up to whatever stage you want.
Other then that I may be able to get you a good deal on a new Predator boat. They are tough as the back yard shit house and once again can get them to any stage you want. Bare hull, or through to turn key and go anything in between.

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Aug 20 2008, 06:06 PM
Post #7

His Eminance

Yeah I've know steve from predator for around 25 years Frank.

He used to work for Marlin & branched off & started building the Condor Cats, Ross Hunter wasn't to impressed & started legal action against him claiming he was copying his cats.

Personally I couldn't see how that claim could be legit cause all boats are virtuall copies of one another.

Think that was around the time Predator boats started.

Thing I have against the Predators is that they dont have a step down & gunnel hight is way to high.

I'm not in a big hurry either current hull has still got a couple of years in her if I do quick repairs, so I'll be taking my time in deciding which hull I'll go for.

I wont hesitate in buying a 2nd hand hull if I find one in good nick & esp if I can get a hold of a STAR boat think they're the ants pants of plate boats shame the Co went under.

If I still had the workshop I prob would've built one from scratch geez I miss not having all my press's guillo's etc

--------------------

+Quote Post
nimrod
post Aug 20 2008, 08:42 PM
Post #8

Marlin

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 1,004

QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Aug 21 2008, 12:06 PM) *
Yeah I've know steve from predator for around 25 years Frank.

He used to work for Marlin & branched off & started building the Condor Cats, Ross Hunter wasn't to impressed & started legal action against him claiming he was copying his cats.

Personally I couldn't see how that claim could be legit cause all boats are virtuall copies of one another.

Think that was around the time Predator boats started.

Thing I have against the Predators is that they dont have a step down & gunnel hight is way to high.

I'm not in a big hurry either current hull has still got a couple of years in her if I do quick repairs, so I'll be taking my time in deciding which hull I'll go for.

I wont hesitate in buying a 2nd hand hull if I find one in good nick & esp if I can get a hold of a STAR boat think they're the ants pants of plate boats shame the Co went under.

If I still had the workshop I prob would've built one from scratch geez I miss not having all my press's guillo's etc

Think I will let this one pass over my head as condor cats only ring a bell with ferries liners etc.
The guy who branched out from Broadbill started and still is making Sailfish alloy cats.
He done it with Ross hunters blessings.CAN'T REMEMBER HIS NAME NOW BUT HE STARTED IN A TIN SHED DOWN
AT mINTO AND WE USED TO USE HIS DAM ON THE PROPERTY TO FLOAT THE NEWLY BUILT HULLS AND TEST FOR LEAKS,
( sorry hit capslock )
We would place 600kg of lead blocks in the hull then jump in and launch into the dam.
There may have been another guy branch out, which would be the guy you know.
Predator boats were liqudated about 3 years or so ago, a guy I know bought the jigs and rights to the
name and is slowly getting a few boats together, he does not mass produce and personal sweat and tears
goes into every boat he builds.

If you ever need a hand in doing anything like welding hull or anything like that I got a mig and some light equipement here. no folders, guillotines etc, but some hand tools and a willingness to lend a hand.

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Aug 20 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #9

His Eminance

Must be a different guy who started Sailfish Frank

Steve was building the Condor Cats in Morebank I knew him quite well back in those days all his cats were painted a yellowy/orange colour.

Having said all that I'll prob stop in @ Predator tomorro & have a sqiz, going down for the day to have a looky @ a plate boat I'd seen a couple of months back in Greenwell Pt that was up for sale.

Was going to take the wittle goat down for a spin but the weather charts are showing the wind coming up so just going for the drive.

I still have access to guillo's & a press but it's not the same as having them in your own work shop.

I never got rid of any of my TIG/MIG welders still have all of them along with any tools [bloody alot of them laugh.gif ] which didn't require 3 phase power.

--------------------

+Quote Post
xtosea
post Aug 21 2008, 02:13 AM
Post #10

*One Block*

Member No.: 40

Noble Super V

--------------------
"Reel Men Smoke Tiagra's"

+Quote Post
Phil
post Aug 21 2008, 03:01 AM
Post #11

*Man_Kini*

Member No.: 2,549

A big yellow POLLY will solve all your problems,Heeps of fish,new friends, and no corrosison,and nothing to winge about anymore
hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

--------------------
There's 24hours tomorrow we hav'nt used yet

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Aug 21 2008, 03:28 AM
Post #12

His Eminance

I'll tell you what Phil !

You come back in 25 years & tell me your Yellow Plastic Bag hasn't melted in the sun & is still in one piece & only then will I tinkle with the idea of fishing in plastic laugh.gif laugh.gif

I've owned current boat around 18 years & prior to that it was a LFB in survey where it worked nearly every day.

It's on it's 3rd pair of motors & still going strong, the corrosion in Q was my fault cause I left the boat idle & without any maitanance for 5 odd years back when I had the big moored goat.

Like anything neglected it has a use by date & that's the only reason I'm looking @ a new boat, if I could get the same hull I wouldn't hesitate.

--------------------

+Quote Post
poly
post Aug 21 2008, 11:00 PM
Post #13

the yack man

Member No.: 4

is this the type of thing u have in mind J.G.

http://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sa...ts.php?de=36005

or is it to wide

22.4ft star

http://boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/u...ts.php?de=31763

--------------------
bugger it's sold,got meself a house instead

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Aug 21 2008, 11:27 PM
Post #14

His Eminance

Yep the beam is to wide to tow poly

Also think they're asking to much for it, I did go down to Nowra 2day to have a looky @ a few boats that I'd seen up for sale last trip down there.

One was sold & the other one was missing seems 2B the norm down there I'll start a new thread about a brand new polycraft that was stolen 1st thing that Dave said was poly took it laugh.gif laugh.gif

Also stoped in @ Predator Boats to have a looky will post some pics & say what I thought of their new designs later tonight when I go back & get the camera out of the car.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Aug 22 2008, 01:13 AM
Post #15

His Eminance

QUOTE (poly @ Aug 22 2008, 05:00 PM) *

Virtually what I've currently got @ present poly

The Star has allways been my favoured plate boat that's where the Penguin hull came from, Star concentrated on building the larger moored boats & a couple of the staff branched off building the Penguins.

You'll find it's the same hull as mine only prob is that boat would be as old as mine.

Got a bit of a shock when I got a rough price by Predator today on the 7.2 meter boat, so I told the guy to sharpen his pencil & give me a price on hull only no cabin etc.

Really liked their new model hulls, original owners of Predator sold out 5 years ago & the new owner has changed the design of the boats, they used to be pressed sides & plate only hull, now the whole design is full plate.

My brain thinks @ 100 mph @ times & depending on what the new price will be will determine whether I build one from scratch or not.

Got told $ 45 k for unpainted complete boat as per pics below

Someone I know took delivery of a Mako Craft earlier this year just a centre consel unpainted still 7.2 meters & he paid $ 18 k for the hull.

Huge difference in price but have to admit alot more work goes into the Predator Boats.

I'll start costing plate next week should have the quote from predator by then & I'll see whether I build or buy

Boats I looked @ today that were getting built in the factory

This was a 6.1 meter to much cabin on it for my liking but the boat was built to owners specs, still the boat had heaps of room

This was a 6.8 meter getting built nicer lines on the gunnels etc & a mile of room, I'd like a 7.2 meter & think it would be the ants pants size wise for a trailer boat

--------------------

+Quote Post
poly
post Aug 22 2008, 01:37 AM
Post #16

the yack man

Member No.: 4

i must say i like the look of the 6.1 she has nice lines and a good size cab, but one of the thing that peeps don't think about at this stage of the build is the placement sounders gps radar radios ect plus the general lay out of the office this is one of the places that the owner will spend a lot of time in and it should be the very best it can.

--------------------
bugger it's sold,got meself a house instead

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Aug 22 2008, 01:43 AM
Post #17

*FruitLoop* 53

Member No.: 3

You may remember my "JB Disaster" Post.. Saturday morning and We had a split boat and stopped at a few places looking for someone to repair. Predator was closed but I could see somone in the office fiddling around and he opened up and fixed the boat withing an hour for a good price and a bacon and egg mc muffin.. Was very thankful for his help.. There was a 6.8m boat in its final stages of being kitted out for maritine or sommeone of the like with a 150 on the back.. Awesome boat.. Back then he said about 70k fully fitted BMT.. I know metal prices have risen dramatically since then though.

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Aug 22 2008, 02:17 AM
Post #18

His Eminance

general lay out of the office this is one of the places that the owner will spend a lot of time in and it should be the very best it can

That's why I favour the Hard Top boats, dont like those semi hard top imitations which use clears to make up the hardtop.

I've got a fair bit of $$'s investested in electronics which the Hard Top protects unlike back in the old days where salt water got in.

I liked the lines on the 6.8 boat alot better

I know metal prices have risen dramatically since then though.

Yep it has I got a bit of a shock last time I had to buy some & that's why I need to cost B4 jumping the gun to save $5 k on the project would be a waste of time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
storms72
post Aug 22 2008, 03:22 AM
Post #19

Shark

Member No.: 393

JG Been out on a couple of Predators, I guess you'd be fitting your twins on you new one.....We fitted up a 150 4st Yammy
to a 7m a few years ago....Geez it ran well at speed and ate up the swell and chop off broken bay..... Must admit my mates little 19ft Riptide CC is a real nice riding boat-only has a 100hp merc on it and the price was great for a hull of such quality build-can get you more info if you like!

--------------------
AAAAHhhhhhhh, I just wanna fish!!!!

+Quote Post
catchnrelease
post Aug 22 2008, 04:48 AM
Post #20

*Bi Catch*

Member No.: 11

I take it you're getting rid of the big boat??? What about the horsies and electronics???

I have 0 knowledge about predators except that I've deckied on a mates big custom CC on more than one occasion. It was built pretty tonka tough and although plain and simple it was nice to ride in. rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif Well that's my contribution!

--------------------
DANCE!

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th August 2024 - 08:56 PM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates