Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 4 And A Bit Months
storms72
post May 17 2008, 03:48 AM
Post #1

Shark

Group: Members

Member No.: 393

Hey guys...Some of you may know I purchased a boat and trailer off BC's mate CC in January this year! SHe was a little worse for wear but with a solid hull and a trailer that worked I was keen for a bit of a project and to get my wife and kids on the water and into some fishing!

Trailer was repaired-some welding new bars and plating other sections(done by a good friend's dad-stoked to know people like this), new skids to replace the old, couple of rollers replaced and wheels, hubs, bearings, springs and now rego'd!

Hull took a little more work but it was fun and after completing every little bit I planned to do when spare time was available I got a little more excited at the prospect of getting her on the water!

Outboard was the biggie and I had planned on putting a few $$$ away over a few months once all hull and trailer work completed and purchase a ex-demo merc off my best mates dad but Frank sorted me out with a 35hp 76 model Johno...It runs like a dream Frank....

Water test finally today after trailer rego'd and with my kids in tow we headed to the Georges near Milperra bridge and after 2 pulls of the starter off we went....Should've taken my navman along to know how fast we were going-could estimate it at round 40 odd KMPH but its hard to guess when you don't spend enough time on the water as others but it was fast enough with 4 of us on board! She lifted from standstill to the plane with comfort and very quickly reached top speed...Ride was very comfortable and hooked into a few turns at speed and the old Quinnie tracked real well.

Frank will give you a call next week mate and a big thanks mate-you've contributed greatly and put a huge smile on my childrens and my face! biggrin.gif

Total cost has been under $1500....Woo Hoo

This post has been edited by storms72: May 17 2008, 03:51 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  P1261353.JPG ( 94.98K ) Number of downloads: 21
Attached File  P5171358.JPG ( 91.8K ) Number of downloads: 28
Attached File  P5171360.JPG ( 92.78K ) Number of downloads: 29

--------------------
AAAAHhhhhhhh, I just wanna fish!!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spudly
post May 17 2008, 03:54 AM
Post #2

*FruitLoop* 53

Group: Donator

Member No.: 3

Good onya Storms.. Another Fisho hitting the water. Would be a great feeling to know that all your work will now lead to some fishing...

Will add, Good to see ya over here having a chat after a few had some initial differances else where.

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post May 17 2008, 03:55 AM
Post #3

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

Some of you may know I purchased a boat and trailer off BC's mate CC in January this year!

Did you have a good look under the ribs in case he left any sinkers wedged up against the skin ??? laugh.gif laugh.gif

It's not about speed on the water, the 35 hp should carry load & prob a good HP for the boat wiser choice than going with a 25 hp like so many do.

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
storms72
post May 17 2008, 04:01 AM
Post #4

Shark

Hey alls good PH......I feel like its christmas so forgive and forget and all that!!!! tongue.gif

JG...C-mon mate you're the one who said the 15 or 25 I was thinking of buying for it originally in the other forum would be too small so you have the right to climb upon your Shout box and tell all you were right and I was wrong laugh.gif ...Wouldn't be the first nor will it be the last time I will be wrong!
Yeah, sinkers, found a few with CC stamped on em....Hmmmmmm poke.gif hysterical.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post May 17 2008, 04:20 AM
Post #5

His Eminance

JG...C-mon mate you're the one who said the 15 or 25

Think you better go find where I said that laugh.gif laugh.gif

Cause I'm the 1st to tell peeps allways go bigger, & if the Jumpus memory is spot on like it allways is tongue.gif

I told you to grab it of Frank months back if anything just to clamp it on the back of the boat & see how it performs.

As far as HP goes ????????

Well just look @ what sort of Donkey Power I have on my goats it says it all in regards to what I like in the way of HP

BUT I still only do 10 knots laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
BONECRUSHER
post May 17 2008, 04:32 AM
Post #6

Bream

Member No.: 2,586

well done storms, jumpy the whole boat is lead it was the mould left from my boat after a trip with CC, so many sinkers

+Quote Post
storms72
post May 17 2008, 01:37 PM
Post #7

Shark

JG....Far out man..Read my post again mate tongue.gif ....I said you told me the smaller engines(15-25hp) would be too small, you're right i'm wrong who's the king of the castle worship1.gif ......Now i'v finally got it on the water I think once I need to re-power it will be getting at least a 40----the 50 might just be a little too much for a tiller steer but then again it might not!!

This post has been edited by storms72: May 17 2008, 01:40 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post May 17 2008, 02:44 PM
Post #8

His Eminance

What you'll find is the newer motors may seliver a bit more grunt than the older ones.

Noticed in the pic you've got an drop down open transom ?

That's something I'd consider B4 going to a bigger heavier motor esp if you're taking the whole family on board.

I do have a 50 hp on my wittle boat & it gets along very quickle BUT I only fish 2 on board & I only weigh around 66 kg.

Adding extra weight & esp sitting aft like on yours you have to contend with wash from passing boats.

Rather than think about repowing use the boat as is until such times as maybe both boat/motor upgrade may be on the cards

--------------------

+Quote Post
A pirate
post May 17 2008, 03:22 PM
Post #9

Jewfish

Member No.: 2,564

in there torres straights the average HP tiller steer is 70hp the biggest ive seen is 150HP on the back of a 5.2m GRP Dory! so a 50hp will not be to big for tiller. Actually when my enging gives up the ghost ill be looking for a new 50 or 60 2stroke yamaha in tiller steer layout.

--------------------
A Pirate by name, A Pirate by nature!

I support FILLET and RELEASE!

Botany Bay PB's; nil to date
Port Hacking PB's; Flathead 47cm, Bream 36cm, Flounder 32cm (these are not big PB's but its a start)
Northern Australia PB's; Shark 1.6m(whaler), Spangled Emperor 60cm, Spanish Mackerel 1.45m

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post May 17 2008, 03:40 PM
Post #10

His Eminance

pirate up in the torres straights, you dont have the boat traffic that you cop down this way.

Hence my comment about tiller & a drop down transom which is required for tiller steer.

Unless you're up a remote part of a river down here, the amount of boats that use our waterways create alot of wash not just fishermens boats you also have to contend with with water skiers & yahoodlums who tend to get their kicks from coming as close as possible & they create wash.

Going a bigger heavier motor when it's more a luxury than a neccesaty, well I cant see the logic esp on a boat that's most likely not rated to handle it.

I'm a big lover of having more HP than is required, not for speed but moreso that you dont have to rev out a bigger motor which means your fuel economy stays good etc

BUt if I need the power it's there

--------------------

+Quote Post
nimrod
post May 17 2008, 05:44 PM
Post #11

Marlin

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 1,004

A more modern type say after 95 even in 30 hp would deliver more grunt, speed and get up and go that this 35 hp has.
Believe me I used to own the motor, a goog old donk that will keep on going for many a year to come.
I have not seen Jason's boat in real life but I believe the old 35 hp will push it along quiet hapily.
As for talking about large tiller motors etc, all that has absolutely nothing to do with this topic.
Here we are talking about an old boat with an old motor on it that will do the job Jason asks of it, till he chooses to upgrade.
A style of boating that is convenient for him at this stage, tiller steer means pull start and no batterys etc to have to worry about, the larger tiller steer motors would more then likely be electris start, and therefor require a charged bettery etc, and therefor, whats the point ??? of having a huge tiller steer motor ???.

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post
Christos
post May 18 2008, 12:30 AM
Post #12

Kokino Vraka

Member No.: 220

We have gone so far off topic you guys have lost me after the fifth or forth post. See even I do not know which post.

Good to see that you have purchased a boat and rebuilted it. I look forward to fishing and other boating reports.

+Quote Post
storms72
post May 18 2008, 02:30 AM
Post #13

Shark

Cheers Kristos...I'm very happy mate!

I am far from worrying bout re-powering as this 76 model johno which is only a couple of years younger than I runs like a dream-theres at least a few thousand good fish from numerous fishing trips in it.....I'm more than happy with pull starting it as it is far from difficult...

I actually don't mind the off topic conversation it gives us something to discuss which may help any one of us in the future.

Talking battery's Frank-I'm gonna start a new thread cause I need some help on wether what I have will be ok!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd October 2024 - 07:02 PM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates