Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Boating What Will Happen
poly
post Apr 18 2008, 09:55 PM
Post #1

the yack man

Group: Donator

Member No.: 4

with the rise and rise of petrol prices in which direction do u see boating going, my own feelings on this are mixed as i feel there will be a return to boats such as the putt putt boats of old built from newer materials of course,were as on the other hand the diesel stern drive may be the way to go
my little poly only costs around me around $15 a day in petrol were as a friend of mine tells me he has spent over a $150 a day running his hains fitted with a 150hp merk and is thinking about down sizing

it will be interesting to see what u all think, which way will boating go dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif

--------------------
bugger it's sold,got meself a house instead

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
poly
post Apr 18 2008, 10:42 PM
Post #2

the yack man

this is what i meant by a modern putt putt with a 55hp motor it would make about 12nts i would think, but the price is a killer $115.000
diesel would be about 12lts an hour at w.o.t.
http://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats/ed.html?de=14116

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Apr 19 2008, 12:55 AM
Post #3

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

No different to cars poly

Are you going to sell your car & ride a push bike because the price of fuel is so high ????

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
poly
post Apr 19 2008, 03:10 AM
Post #4

the yack man

i don't think we could do with out owe cars were as a boat is a luxury and will most likely be one of the fist things to be cut from the family budget

--------------------

+Quote Post
It'l Do
post Apr 19 2008, 04:19 AM
Post #5

*Tooth Fairy*

Member No.: 2,553

My guess is the people who currently cannot afford to use their boat very often will continue to use their boats less. Mostly large cruisers fit into this category.

Others that have cheaper boats to run will continue to use them.

Buggered if I get it but I see more HSV utes as company vehicles now. Guess they must be making so much money that they don't care what price the petrol is.

Hopefully someone has to sell their alloy cuddy with a 115 cheap next year because they cannot afford the fuel. Dream on Freddie. laugh.gif

--------------------
Don't tell anybody but my name is Fushin Freddie
I don't exaggerate...I just remember BIG!

+Quote Post
poly
post Apr 19 2008, 03:17 PM
Post #6

the yack man

QUOTE (It'l Do @ Apr 19 2008, 10:19 PM) *
My guess is the people who currently cannot afford to use their boat very often will continue to use their boats less. Mostly large cruisers fit into this category.

Others that have cheaper boats to run will continue to use them.

Buggered if I get it but I see more HSV utes as company vehicles now. Guess they must be making so much money that they don't care what price the petrol is.

Hopefully someone has to sell their alloy cuddy with a 115 cheap next year because they cannot afford the fuel. Dream on Freddie. laugh.gif
why wait

your wish is my command

http://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats/ed.html?de=32926

--------------------

+Quote Post
Christos
post Apr 19 2008, 05:47 PM
Post #7

Kokino Vraka

Group: Members

Member No.: 220

My guess would be that most people who love boating would try and keep their boat. This could be the only way for someone to be able to relax after working so hard. Then again those that are in a bit of strife would look at getting rid of items and the boat could be one that goes just to reduce or pay off debt.

Generally when you want to borrow money to purchase a house, the lending company would give you a rate of x amount and then they would calculate at 2 percent more. This is would be the limit that they would lend you knowing what you earn and expenses etc. So people would be ok to continue paying back their loans for an extra 2 percent above what they are borrowing. The problem is when we have an increase about the 2 percent buffer allowed by the lending company.

The other side of the coin is what about the lending company lending money to people that are calculated above limit and they still lend money to people.

It all comes back to people wanting to have or get something that they cannot really afford at the time.

So I think we might see more boats on sale.

+Quote Post
CATCH22
post Apr 19 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #8

*Telescopic Stick*

Member No.: 8

QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Apr 19 2008, 06:55 PM) *

Are you going to sell your car & ride a push bike because the price of fuel is so high ????

GOOD ONE JUMPY ...I THOUGHT THAT WAS FUNNY ....BLOODY PUSH BIKE ..I GOT A CHEEP HELMET IF YA NEED ONE POLY

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Apr 19 2008, 11:29 PM
Post #9

*FruitLoop* 53

Member No.: 3

That boat looks awesome!! I want it..

I could afford a house IF i bought one to live in.... But cant afford rent and a house! and really dont wanna buy here cause i dont plan on staying and the market is ridiculosly overpriced!

+Quote Post
poly
post Apr 19 2008, 11:57 PM
Post #10

the yack man

QUOTE (CATCH22 @ Apr 20 2008, 04:32 PM) *
GOOD ONE JUMPY ...I THOUGHT THAT WAS FUNNY ....BLOODY PUSH BIKE ..I GOT A CHEEP HELMET IF YA NEED ONE POLY

yep i thought it was funny to Dave, but think about it for a wile the price will double in the next 3 to 5 years so the experts say
j. g. i would think your big boat would burn about 30 to 40lts an hour, please correct me if i am wrong.
at todays prices working on 30lts an hour that $45 fuel for just 1 hour if it doubles it will be $90, i have no idea just how much fuel u would burn in a full days fishing even if it was as little as 100lts i don't think to many family men could justify the expense. dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Apr 20 2008, 12:14 AM
Post #11

His Eminance

poly let me tell you something that you may not be aware of.

Back in the 1990 when we were in reccesion the car & boating market was booming

WHY ???????????????????????????

Mentality of people they figured buying a home was to expensive so they borrowed $$$'s to buy either a boat or a car & chose to live in rent

Even if the price of fuel rech's $5 a litre people will still burn it in their cars & boats

j. g. i would think your big boat would burn about 30 to 40lts an hour, please correct me if i am wrong.

No where near that

One of the reasons I went to 4 bangers was because of their fuel efficiency.

Last trip out wide prob used about 160 litres with motors reving around 4500 rpm till we got out wide then they sat on around 2600 rpm whilst we trolled.

Overall we were on the water with motors running around 10 hrs

--------------------

+Quote Post
poly
post Apr 20 2008, 01:22 AM
Post #12

the yack man

Even if the price of fuel rech's $5 a litre people will still burn it in their cars & boats

yep people will still use it in the car as most people depend on the car to get to work the shops whatever, but the boat will suffer at $5lt by your own figers the day out would have cost $800 even at $3 it would have cost $480, if the price continues to rise i see a shift in the design of boats and the way we power them

--------------------

+Quote Post
quintrex101
post Apr 27 2008, 02:51 AM
Post #13

BEN 10kg

Member No.: 370

i reakon go the tinnys, oh and the polys laugh.giflaugh.gif

yer fuel is getting out of hand my dad was going to get gas on our vz wagon and they said cause its a alloytec motor its 4 grand ... dunno if its worth it ... might be in the end it save heeps ....

i reakon i buy a 40hp four stroke when i get older ( not as old as jumpus ) and some small car ( or big laugh.giflaugh.gif)

+Quote Post
jack
post Apr 27 2008, 03:45 AM
Post #14

*Back Better*

Member No.: 2,560

QUOTE (flattie_hunter @ Apr 27 2008, 08:51 PM) *
i reakon go the tinnys, oh and the polys laugh.giflaugh.gif

yer fuel is getting out of hand my dad was going to get gas on our vz wagon and they said cause its a alloytec motor its 4 grand ... dunno if its worth it ... might be in the end it save heeps ....

i reakon i buy a 40hp four stroke when i get older ( not as old as jumpus ) and some small car ( or big laugh.giflaugh.gif)

I believe there is some sort of government cash back for installing LPG in your car so your out of pocket expense is not as much.

Gas conversions of your engine are in my opinion a compromise in all departments and I dont like them.
Lose space (big ugly tank)
lose power (LPG is just not as powerful as fuel)
more change of problems with engine (simply by adding complexity)

When you get older we have run out of oil and you'll be driving your push bike around with a tinnie in tow hysterical.gif

Jack

--------------------

+Quote Post
quintrex101
post Apr 27 2008, 05:37 AM
Post #15

BEN 10kg

Member No.: 370

that be mad jack laugh.giflaugh.gif

but with the gas change over think of it

full tank of gas ( 60 litre tank ) around 35 bucks

full tank of fuel ( 60 litre tank ) around 80 bucks

is it worth having a big ugly tank in the back when your saving 45 bucks a trip to the fuel station ... who said they lose power .. cars like mine and your jack will not lose ( yours is a vz right, all the same with commodores) power, thats not true trust me plus cars have that much power with you lose abit it will not matter,

plus the money back from the govement is only 2 grand so it still going to cost us 2 and a half grand too

just my option

+Quote Post
storms72
post Apr 27 2008, 11:50 AM
Post #16

Shark

Member No.: 393

Wether running on gas only or dual fuel daniel there is some power loss, big thing is 30% approx fuel economy drop compared to unleaded. Looked into it for my VR-would end up costing me $400 after cash back thing!

This post has been edited by storms72: Apr 27 2008, 11:51 AM

--------------------
AAAAHhhhhhhh, I just wanna fish!!!!

+Quote Post
Arnie Dog
post Apr 27 2008, 01:49 PM
Post #17

*The Dog Master*

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Apr 19 2008, 06:55 PM) *

I can't help but feel that some of the replies in this thread are a bit narky aren't we all just having our say on the matter ??

It is OK for the guys who have jobs to say these things but I only get $300 a week and have learned what it means to go

with out. I'd love to take my wife out for tea once in a while but as Pol mentioned some of us have to watch our budget. You

might be thinking come off it thats B/S I can assure you I don't B/S and I am not complaining I am just agreeing with Pol the

fuel thing will affect a lot of lower income people. I love my life down here but I would like a few little niceities but I am

learning to be happy with what I got. As far as a bike goes some people would get a great deal of benefit from getting off

their butts and doing some exercise great for the cardio. Riding a bike lets me know I am alive.

I love my bike before I did my knee in I was riding between 80 -90 klms a day and after I get it fixed up even with

two steel knees I will be back to 40-5klms a day with a back pack on I can get into town shop a wee bit chew the fat at

McCallums Tackle shop and still have plenty in my tank to trundle home to Greenwell Point

This would give me approx. a 40 klm return trip I just love the thought. Even in the wet riding through the wet cow

Poooooooo does something for me No it doesn't grow hair biggrin.gif biggrin.gif For some of us we will have to get rid of a car or boat

maybe, . For me I get $300 a week and it is tough but we gotta do what we gotta do. I still have a kayak to fish out of just

makes it a bit slower and a wee bit wetter but I will still be fishing Dog05.gif Dog05.gif

That's just my thoughts

This post has been edited by Arnie Dog: Apr 27 2008, 02:16 PM

--------------------

The George Street Shuffle

+Quote Post
nimrod
post Apr 27 2008, 02:03 PM
Post #18

Marlin

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 1,004

Well the way I look at it, is it's a gradual thing, although it's rapidly increasing speed the last few years.
People will still do their boating, although they will think more of pulling up anchor and moving to a new spot a little more, and basically go fewer times then they do now.
Who knows down the track they will probably have 4 strokes running on gas and ethonol mixture.
I am a firm believer that this government of ours will steadily increase the price of gas in a much greater volume then petrol in the next few years so in the end it will be on a par ( economy wise ) with petrol.
Gas no doubt gives less grunt, and you don't get quiet the same milage per litre, add everything up, and unless you do heaps of k's every year it's just not worth the room and expense.
Just my thoughts.

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Apr 27 2008, 02:35 PM
Post #19

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 13

anyone thought of converting their tinnie to a Paddle wheel boat, you could get around Cheap and excercise at the same time.

--------------------
I WANNA GO: FISHIN WITH SUMO.

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Apr 27 2008, 05:25 PM
Post #20

His Eminance

QUOTE (Arnie Dog @ Apr 28 2008, 07:49 AM) *
I can't help but feel that some of the replies in this thread are a bit narky aren't we all just having our say on the matter ??

It is OK for the guys who have jobs to say these things but I only get $300 a week and have learned what it means to go

with out. I'd love to take my wife out for tea once in a while but as Pol mentioned some of us have to watch our budget. You

might be thinking come off it thats B/S I can assure you I don't B/S and I am not complaining I am just agreeing with Pol the

fuel thing will affect a lot of lower income people. I love my life down here but I would like a few little niceities but I am

learning to be happy with what I got. As far as a bike goes some people would get a great deal of benefit from getting off

their butts and doing some exercise great for the cardio. Riding a bike lets me know I am alive.

I love my bike before I did my knee in I was riding between 80 -90 klms a day and after I get it fixed up even with

two steel knees I will be back to 40-5klms a day with a back pack on I can get into town shop a wee bit chew the fat at

McCallums Tackle shop and still have plenty in my tank to trundle home to Greenwell Point

This would give me approx. a 40 klm return trip I just love the thought. Even in the wet riding through the wet cow

Poooooooo does something for me No it doesn't grow hair biggrin.gif biggrin.gif For some of us we will have to get rid of a car or boat

maybe, . For me I get $300 a week and it is tough but we gotta do what we gotta do. I still have a kayak to fish out of just

makes it a bit slower and a wee bit wetter but I will still be fishing Dog05.gif Dog05.gif

That's just my thoughts

Wasn't being Narky @ all & my say was as good as any

I dont have a job either, but when I did I worked by butt off in a way most here would have no idea about

I didn't get on the booze , didn't spend my $$'s on drugs never owned a credit card & allways lived within my means.

When most of you's were out fishing or taking sickies from work I was going to work even when I was legitly sick 15 years of that without a day off.

Everyone gets given oppertunities in life & some of us made the most of them I can garauntee all nobody fed me with a silver spoon.

You're talking about trivial sacrifices that you're making today ??

Tell you what, if you can give me back the 15 odd years I didn't have a life then I'll gladly give you all the $$'s that I own

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th August 2024 - 12:14 PM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates