Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Batteries
Bees Knees
post Feb 11 2008, 06:43 PM
Post #1

Twoeyesea

Group: Members

Member No.: 1,659

I need to buy another battery for my boat dry.gif just installed the battery switch.

Just for my accessories. Do i need same size/smaller/larger than my existing?

I need to get it tomorrow. I'm off to Currarong Friday.

Advice would be great

Thanks in advance!! BK Gumballs.gif

--------------------
Don't hate me, cause you ain't me... :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Feb 11 2008, 07:40 PM
Post #2

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 13

Hi BK,
If you only need to run accessories from 2nd battery you can use a smaller battery,
BUT if you have a change over switch eg, 1st batt 2nd batt or BOTH it is advisable to use the same size battery because you can use second battery as back up battery or alternate between batteries which would give them a longer life span. and the same amp hour rating.

--------------------
I WANNA GO: FISHIN WITH SUMO.

+Quote Post
Bees Knees
post Feb 11 2008, 07:50 PM
Post #3

Twoeyesea

QUOTE (SUMOFISHIN @ Feb 12 2008, 02:40 PM) *
Hi BK,
If you only need to run accessories from 2nd battery you can use a smaller battery,
BUT if you have a change over switch eg, 1st batt 2nd batt or BOTH it is advisable to use the same size battery because you can use second battery as back up battery or alternate between batteries which would give them a longer life span. and the same amp hour rating.

Thats the switch i have sumo.. So exact size and no dramas??? Is there precations or no-no's with 2 batteries??

--------------------

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Feb 11 2008, 08:08 PM
Post #4

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Yes there is a general rule to use your power supply from the one battery, if you encounter a problem then you can switch over to the other fully charged battery, and you should make a habit of using alternative batteries for each trip.

--------------------

+Quote Post
poly
post Feb 11 2008, 09:33 PM
Post #5

the yack man

Group: Donator

Member No.: 4

i only run the one battery, should i run two ?????????? the motor has a recoil starter rope dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif

--------------------
bugger it's sold,got meself a house instead

+Quote Post
Bees Knees
post Feb 11 2008, 10:31 PM
Post #6

Twoeyesea

QUOTE (poly @ Feb 12 2008, 04:33 PM) *
i only run the one battery, should i run two ?????????? the motor has a recoil starter rope dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif

I had to pull start my 85 suzuki at night a few weeks ago. Bloody funny now, but i dont recommend it laugh.gif We had that boat lit up like a xmas tree and radio going ect.

Mine just didn't seem to charge right up when its on the water after it had been sitting for more than a week.

I started using a trickle charger, but the day i forgot and a quick fish sprung to mind... The bloody thing wouldn't start. Something is draining it slowly. But now hopefully i have the best of both worlds. I dont have to take the teminal off when im finished also.

--------------------

+Quote Post
poly
post Feb 11 2008, 10:37 PM
Post #7

the yack man

Member No.: 4

was it hard to start with the rope or did it turn over o.k. dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif

--------------------
bugger it's sold,got meself a house instead

+Quote Post
Bees Knees
post Feb 11 2008, 10:47 PM
Post #8

Twoeyesea

QUOTE (poly @ Feb 12 2008, 05:37 PM) *
was it hard to start with the rope or did it turn over o.k. dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif

My mate had his hand on the makeshift rope :o I had one hand on my ignition rolleyes.gif and we counted down..3..2..1 She started that easy my mate fell half over the side with the rope still in his hand super.gif we grabbed hold of his legs

Guess you had to be there

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Feb 11 2008, 11:54 PM
Post #9

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

It's worth paying the extra & getting a Gel Battery.

These are sealed unlike your standard batteries which have breathers on each cell, which will allow the fumes or battery acid to escape esp if the boat is bouncing & batteries are mounted forward.

Another advantage over the Gel Batteries is that they will take a charge even if they are dead flat unlike your standard batteries which may require a boost from a 2nd battery even on a good size charger.

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Feb 12 2008, 12:16 AM
Post #10

*The Manilla Gorilla*

AGM Batteries, (absorbed Glass Mat) commonly known as Gel batteries should never be fitted in conjunction with Lead acid batteries regardless of whether they are in series or paralel.

Good Quality Calcium/Calcium Batteries, of which most Marine batteries now are, are not vented to the atmosphere and are maintenance Free.

This post has been edited by SUMOFISHIN: Feb 12 2008, 12:19 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Feb 12 2008, 01:03 AM
Post #11

His Eminance

SUMO !

Who said anything about series or paralel ???

If I recalled there was talk of a isolating switch tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bees Knees
post Feb 12 2008, 01:44 AM
Post #12

Twoeyesea

AAaah, you lads are killing me now! I'm buying the battery 2morrow. rolleyes.gif

Maybe i should just put some gel in my hair and find some young punk to sell me some acid and go party with some glow sticks and worry about the battery when i get back from Currarong :offtopic: :LolBlueFlame:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Feb 13 2008, 01:25 AM
Post #13

His Eminance

AAaah, you lads are killing me now!

R U Dead yet ???? laugh.gif laugh.gif

Think SUMO is COFUCIOUSING a GEL battery with a deep Cycle battery they are not the same

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bees Knees
post Feb 13 2008, 12:34 PM
Post #14

Twoeyesea

QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Feb 13 2008, 08:25 PM) *
R U Dead yet ???? laugh.gif laugh.gif

Think SUMO is COFUCIOUSING a GEL battery with a deep Cycle battery they are not the same

No pal, i have been revived!! Just like this site.

I had a look at my existing battery last night whilst preparing for the weekend. ( i put off buying the battery yesterday without some decent advice) And its a car battery, albeit a quality one. Century 57

Should i change both?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Feb 13 2008, 03:09 PM
Post #15

His Eminance

Yep Yep looks like the site is back, you could get on in short bursts yester but then it would go off line again.

It's up to you how you go about it & think you'll get a rude surprise @ the costof new batteries these days the excuse is that the price of lead has shot through the roof.
Well on my little boat I'm running one ordinary car battery which was in there initially, then when I got the Lecky I purchased an additional Gel Battery & that was about 12 months ago.

The batteries run through an isolating switch but I do @ times have them set on **BOTH** to charge up if they're running a bit low that's why I was surprised by SUMO's comment .

Gel batteries should never be fitted in conjunction with Lead acid batteries regardless of whether they are in series or paralel

Both types of batteries are 12 volt & get charged the same way via direct current from your motor's rectifier nodifferent to using a battery recharger @ home.

Idid however not know the difference between a Gel & Deep Cycle battery @ time of purchaing the Gel but my mate who's Auto Electrician set me straight the deep cycle batteries are the type used in electric forklifts & they need to be the same.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Feb 13 2008, 04:09 PM
Post #16

*FruitLoop* 53

Member No.: 3

Jumpus, Differant batteries while being charged the same way will charge at differant rates, and this is why they say that diffeant batteries shouldnt be charged together, it makes sense, HOWEVER....

I have installed numerous dual bettery setups with differant batteries linked in systems and never had a problem. If anything it may slightly affect battery life but have not had any problems myself.

In my 4x4 I run a 600cca Marine battery for starting duties.
My second battery is a Marine, * 105amp Hour, 900CCMA Deep cycle & Starting Sealed Lead Acid. (this battery also has dual terminals for starting and deep cycle)

* This can easily run all my accessories for long periods with no affects form being discharged and recharged periodically, and allows my main battery to stay fully charged and only have to cope with starting duties.

I use marine batteries in my 4x4 because they are built to handle a bit more punishment.

This post has been edited by Rum Dust N Ruckus: Feb 13 2008, 04:13 PM

+Quote Post
Bees Knees
post Feb 13 2008, 10:49 PM
Post #17

Twoeyesea

Thanks Gentlemen,

As always.. You point us in the right direction. Much appreciated :TazSpin2:

I was on site at Little Bay most of the day today. Plenty of white caps out there. Better check the forcasts for the south coast fish.gif fish.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Feb 14 2008, 12:28 AM
Post #18

*The Manilla Gorilla*

Sorry fellas but I have not been able to get on the site,

Jumpus For Your information BK stated that He had a changeover switch installed, well when a changeover switch is installed it has a position for both batteries to operate in PARALLEL.

And as for AGM Batteries they as with Calcium/ Calcium are forms of Deep Cycle Batteries

why DONT you stick to Knowing about Refrigeration and I will pass on Knowledge about AUTO ELECTRICS.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Feb 14 2008, 01:05 AM
Post #19

His Eminance

why DONT you stick to Knowing about Refrigeration and I will pass on Knowledge about AUTO ELECTRICS.

SUMO wake up to yourself & stop giving bum steers to people

Bee's asked a simple question about getting a second battery for his boat

If you're gonna make comments like this

AGM Batteries, (absorbed Glass Mat) commonly known as Gel batteries should never be fitted in conjunction with Lead acid batteries regardless of whether they are in series or paralel.

Then you gives good reasons for it because my Auto Electrician dosen't share your thoughts on the subject & like I said earlier it's the deep cycle batteries that need to be of the same type & size but you wouldn't go out & buy one of those for a boat not @ around $600 for a 100 amp hr battery.

Suggest in future you read what others have said B4 jumping the gun.

When I purchased my GEL I looked into it & got brought up to scratch on the do's & donts by someone who currently sells these batteries not someone like you who used to be an auto lecky 30 years ago.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SUMOFISHIN
post Feb 14 2008, 03:06 AM
Post #20

*The Manilla Gorilla*

just installed the battery switch.

Thats the switch i have sumo.. So exact size and no dramas??? Is there precations or no-no's with 2 batteries??

HEY Jumpus, I DO read what is written I don't go off Half Cocked like some people that PRESUME to know.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th August 2024 - 09:30 PM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates