Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I Feel The Need - The Need For Weed.
kkw
post Jan 20 2013, 11:32 PM
Post #1

" Master of Black Fish"(alias The Criminal)"

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 30

Had a relatively early start this morning (for me anyway - Whispering Jack, one of my fishing buddies today, goes for a swim at 5am, nuts) getting away at 6am. Arrived out the coast about 7am, to find two boys already fishing there. They got up at 3.30am to go fishing. What's wrong with the youth of today??? The swell was forecast to be around 0.5m, but it was more than that and made the ledge a bit tricky. Found out that five men are too many for this possie when there is a bump on the water and no wind for a drift. Anyhow, we managed but a 6th arrival saw him turn around and fish a rock to the north. Bob cast out and hooked in almost right away, landing a nice fish of around 40cm. That was to be his one and only for the session. He had a strange day, losing two floats and a bit of gear. Standing too far back off the edge and letting his line drop onto the rocks was the problem. John got two fish and lost a float as well as some gear. Some of the larger swells hammered into the rocks and we all got thoroughly drenched several times. Steve and Sam, the bikkie boys, managed a dozen or so fish between them and went off to fish the blue hole, doing quite well up there too. I think they left, because I was eating all their bikkies. I don't know how many they ended up with, but they always do good. I was fishing a rod length under the fixed float and getting baited consistently, with no indication of a take, so decided to fish only 1m under the float and started to get regular downs. Told the boys the fish were feeding high, but they didn't improve on their bags. I ended up with 11 fish and dropped a half dozen trying to land them in the tricky swell conditions. It was right on the cusp of deciding to fish inside waters or being very cautious in the current ones. It was a glorious day out there and the water was perfect, but the fish were being a bit coy. Overall though, when the catch was tallied, there were around 30 fish landed by the five anglers and more were added by the two boys from west of the black stump, when they moved over to the blue hole.
A pic of my fish. I released one to grow a bit and fight another day. Promised a couple of friends some fillets, so kept the 10.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  IMG_0421.jpg ( 429.46K ) Number of downloads: 5

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
oz man
post Jan 21 2013, 12:21 AM
Post #2

The Guru

Group: Root Admin

Member No.: 1

yummy nice work kkw

--------------------

+Quote Post
poly
post Jan 21 2013, 12:34 AM
Post #3

the yack man

Group: Donator

Member No.: 4

nice solid looking fish kk it all ways great to see you have a good one

Paul

--------------------
bugger it's sold,got meself a house instead

+Quote Post
nimrod
post Jan 21 2013, 12:45 AM
Post #4

Marlin

Member No.: 1,004

Bloody showoff,

Great work as usual, those fillets do look good.

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jan 21 2013, 02:48 AM
Post #5

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

Are those wot they call witchty grubers ???

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
quintrex101
post Jan 21 2013, 04:11 AM
Post #6

BEN 10kg

Group: Members

Member No.: 370

Nice catch mate as always

+Quote Post
kkw
post Feb 5 2013, 11:56 PM
Post #7

Went for a bit of a fish today, with the intention of getting a few blackfish for meals. The usual estuary ledge had been denuded of cabbage by the big seas of the previous week, but the swell had dropped dramatically, even since yesterday, so I hiked out to the coast. Met my mate at the start of the track and we got to the rocks about 8.30am, an early start in anyone's estimation. The cabbage on the ocean rocks had also copped a hammering, but the regrowth is amazingly fast and the deeper pools and channels had plenty. Cast in and had one within 60 seconds. Looking good. The fish were all small today, averaging between 32 and 36cm, but I like this size best of all for eating. Rick persists with a bobby cork and threadline reel, but he did check out my rig to see why he wasn't getting anything. He matched my depth, bait and even begged the same hook. We had a lot of fun today and there were loads of fish, but they were not ravenous - probably due to the huge amount of feed that has been washed off the rocks lately. I hooked plenty of blackfish today, feeling the weight and playing them for 10 or 20 seconds, before they dropped off the hook. I dropped around 10 fish in this manner and in the clear water, I could see what they were doing. Nudging the bait, mouthing it, but not swallowing. The swell got a bit wild with the dropping tide and the NE kicking in, so I cast out to a wash where I have caught scores of bigger fish on previous sessions. Snappy hits and much bigger fish out there. Put a real bend in the Pac. Comp. 3145G rod. Some of the fish 'did' me within seconds, but five of them I managed to bring in close enough to see. Trouble is, they spotted me as well and couldn't get into cover fast enough. The pigs had moved in and had me re-rigging more often than not. I managed to land a baby of 38cm, but the big ones figured I was more of an annoyance than a threat. When #5 took me under a ledge and kept my best float in the process, I decided to call it a day. A couple of other acquaintances had arrived and spent the last 2 hours fishing with us as well. Tally for the day was 9 for me, 2 for Rick, 1 for Ray and 0 for Casey.

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Feb 6 2013, 12:17 AM
Post #8

His Eminance

Went for a bit of a fish today

Ha ha ha i went for wun yesterday

--------------------

+Quote Post
kkw
post Feb 8 2013, 09:01 PM
Post #9

What'd you get? Seems only you, Frank and me are posting anything. Very disheartening.

+Quote Post
nimrod
post Feb 8 2013, 10:33 PM
Post #10

Marlin

[quote name='kkw' date='Feb 9 2013, 04:01 PM' post='31434']
What'd you get? Seems only you, Frank and me are posting anything. Very disheartening.
[/quote

You're not wrong, it's like a grave yard in here, sitting looking around to see if there's anyone I know, and nothing but headstones looking back.

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Feb 9 2013, 12:02 AM
Post #11

His Eminance

QUOTE (kkw @ Feb 9 2013, 04:01 PM) *
What'd you get?

Fish laugh.gif

charles c give me ling ling last mundy asked if i wanted to go out on 2sdy

Targeting brimski's

Hard work on the day came home with 8 fish between us released anyting under 30 cm's & there were alot of those

--------------------

+Quote Post
kkw
post Feb 19 2013, 01:29 PM
Post #12

Had an early start this morning for a fish off the ocean rocks. Missed the sunrise, but arrived at the spot around 7am. Saw a 'ship' aground on Cronulla beach, and it apparently has a few Indonesian folk on it, who are helping Police with enquiries as to how the managed to get there. Hmmmm.
Anyway, walking along the road, saw a Manfrotto camera tripod in a council cleanup heap outside someones house. It looked near new, and was, so I scored it. Found it is worth $455 new, so a good pickup. Walking along the beach, I found a nice bobby cork with cyalume stick attached, took that as well. Got out the front and tossed in a bait, for an immediate take and first fish within 30 seconds of wetting a line. Can it get any better? The ocean was glorious, flat and warm. There were baitfish on the surface, as far as I could see, in a narrow strip north and south, about 50m out from the rocks. No predators feeding though.
Dropped a bunch of blackfish fish on the edge of the platform, when the surge only just failed to wash them over the lip and got smashed by a few pigs but had a great morning. We called it quits around 10am, as there were a few fish to fillet and skin. I ended up with 15, John had 9 and Rick with 3. Released a few but a couple of friends wanted some fillets so had a bit to do. The season will start soon, so fish should be coming on the bite. What a year - last season hasn't ended and appears that it will not.
Couple of funny incidents today. John took off his backpack and put it on the rock. He commented that there was a lens off someone's glasses near his pack and that they would be missing it. He fished for about an hour and complained that the salt spray was making his vision blurry, so went to wipe the lenses. Nearly poked his eye out, as the lens he 'found' was one that had dropped out of his bi-focals. One lens was very dark and the other wasn't there so he looked like a pirate. Rick arrived about 8am and John had lost his float to a fish, so he offered him a float he had found on the beach a week before. It was another one of Johns distinctive floats which he had lost a few weeks back. It had washed up after having been to who knows where. Bites were a bit different today, but I worked them out pretty quickly and you had to keep an eye on the float to 'visualise' what the fish were doing with the bait.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  IMG_0431.jpg ( 583.98K ) Number of downloads: 4
Attached File  IMG_0433.jpg ( 431.15K ) Number of downloads: 2

+Quote Post
nimrod
post Feb 19 2013, 06:37 PM
Post #13

Marlin

Another fine haul, you.re a lucky guy finding such valuable equipement waiting to be picked up,but as my better half keeps tellin me, it's only good stuff if you have a need for it.

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th July 2024 - 12:36 PM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates