Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Braid Vs Mono
fish
post Jul 6 2007, 05:17 PM
Post #21

*Fingers*

Group:

Member No.: 10

Yes I love playing silly buggers....I dont like having my posts deleted though :admin power:

This post has been edited by fish: Jul 6 2007, 05:31 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
poly
post Jul 6 2007, 07:23 PM
Post #22

the yack man

Group: Donator

Member No.: 4

braid or mono that is the question
i find for casting braid is a lot better than mono i can't say i have had a lot of trouble with tangles ether, however it dose fray easily, to start with i thought it might be a crook runner so next trip i used a different rod and got the same result, the line i am using is platyus super braid, mad.gif it may be that i need to move up to a better brand is there one that u would recommend dry.gif

--------------------
bugger it's sold,got meself a house instead

+Quote Post
Spudly
post Jul 6 2007, 07:30 PM
Post #23

*FruitLoop* 53

Group: Donator

Member No.: 3

may have been uncalled for :(

This post has been edited by Rum Dust N Ruckus: Jul 7 2007, 01:21 AM

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Jul 7 2007, 12:49 AM
Post #24

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (fish @ Jul 7 2007, 11:07 AM) *
Yes I love playing silly buggers....I dont like having my posts deleted though :admin power:

Well if you're going to persist in turning the more serious threads into a joke then it will happen every time.

We agreed this wouldn't happen a while back REMEMBER ?

I dont mind a joke just like everyone else but you went to far calling those who opposed Braid Bastards.

If you want to use Braid thats your choice but dont go around making out it's the ants pants, I've yet to hear one good debatable point in Braids favour & doubt that I will.

I use it on my spin outfits & gave good reasons why I dont like it for anything else you'll find even when I'm joking around I still give reasons why my thoughts go a certain way & it's up to anyone reading what I post to either agree or disagree with my logic.

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
Mully
post Oct 22 2007, 11:23 PM
Post #25

Shark

Group: Members

Member No.: 720

The main problem with people giving up with braid is they dont kow how to fish properly with it,do we contradict fly fishermen and say why bother with floating or timed singing lines when mono can do the same thing[doubt it]

The main problems I have heard is no stretch and digging in on the spool

The main problem is reel and rod match ups...
You need a FAST TAPER LIGHT ROD TO ABSORB MORE SHOCK
you need a REEL WITH A DECENT DRAG SYSTEM SMOOTH NOT CATCHY

Most problems if all can be solved simply backing off the drag and having a proper rod match up [fast taper] and learn to strike properly its like most things it takes practice and its not for everyone either but when mastered It has benefets..

1. more line on my size 500 or 1500 reels for the same poundage
2. greater life span if decent braid purchased and looked after properly [wash it out and store out of sunlight]
3. I can use lighter equiptment giving me more ability to flick SP,s or hardbodys around all day.
4. used with a proper rod made especially for braid [guides] will give benefits also ,,many tackle stores sell anything that they can not what is required,I own a tackle store also and worked a few so I know[[[[and I said many not all]]]
5. great feel for the lures action if tangled with weed and casting pinpoint accuracy due to its light and smooth casting nature
6. jigging in 150 meters of water for samson or deepwater fish there is not substitute unless you buy a very large O/H I can do it on a spinning reel....
7. When I look like i need a update i will end to end a same size spool so the less used end is now the new end...

Again not for all but another option for us to master...

I wont use braid for trolling as a 35 foot rod to absorb shock isnt practical
I wont use it for bait,for bait mono is better in my opinion [I let my fish run with the baits before a strike]

This post has been edited by Mully: Oct 22 2007, 11:45 PM

--------------------
YOU MUST SHOW RESPECT TO GET IT IN RETURN, NEVER PRESUME YOU DESERVE IT.....

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Oct 23 2007, 12:01 AM
Post #26

His Eminance

I find the biggest prob with it is aimply wind knots & it's not my tackle either

Dont have a wind knot prob with baitcasters just the threadlines

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mully
post Oct 23 2007, 12:24 AM
Post #27

Shark

Very true mate but just one fof those things with light line but there is no memory like monos or fluro...

I dont get many air knots I may just be lucky or using a different type of braid to others [it does happen occasionally] but ive been quite lucky..

It also outcasts mono no second thoughts...

This post has been edited by Mully: Oct 23 2007, 12:27 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Smelly
post Oct 23 2007, 12:26 AM
Post #28

*GasMask*

Member No.: 26

Yep some good points from both sides but i agree with Mully totaly,being able to feel that little tail wobbling through braid is a reel confidence booster for me,way better than hoping it's working smile.gif .

Jumpus i too used to complain about what i thought where wind knots till i relised what they realy where,and this is just my experiance,maybe not the cause of your probs but hey it might help someone.

But i found that most of the knots were occuring because i was watching the line all the time and not the spool,see if you wind in the slack under no pressure it will form loose coils on the spool that WILL cause a knot on the next cast or soon after.

After discovering this after say 1/2hour of casting i'll make a big cast rip a heap of line off and then wind it all back on under a bit of tension,it's been working a treat,i hardly ever get a knot now biggrin.gif .

--------------------
catch ya
SMELLY

+Quote Post
Mully
post Oct 23 2007, 12:29 AM
Post #29

Shark

I also do this exact thing retensioning after a few casts will greatly improve your casting and help with dig in also

Air knots are created from loops on the tip of your rods,when you cast you automatically tighten these loops creating the knot..loose wind on will aid in tip loops and therfore what we do by tightening the line on the spool after a while does greatly help out.

How many people get loops on the end of their rods with mono difference is mono will snap and loose your rig or lure braid on the other hand knots,,,id rather a knot than a lost lure.My reasoning is 10 meters of braid is cheaper than a megabass griffon zero

This post has been edited by Mully: Oct 23 2007, 12:38 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Oct 23 2007, 12:41 AM
Post #30

His Eminance

I dont get many air knots I may just be lucky or using a different type of braid to others

Mully I wenr nearly 8 months or so without a wind knot then about 3 months back I had Arnie mut on the boat & he got a ripp snorta of a wind knot had to replace the whole lot.

And ever since then I'm continually getting them & I think it's made worse by the fact a couple of the outfits now have 2kg braid on them.last weekend alone reckon I wasted 2 spools of the stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post
catchnrelease
post Oct 23 2007, 12:49 AM
Post #31

*Bi Catch*

Member No.: 11

JG what brand braid are you using? And what kind of condition is it in? If your braid is starting to fluff up and you can see small fibres starting to peel off it, this seriously stuffs it up.

This post has been edited by catchnrelease: Oct 23 2007, 12:54 AM

--------------------
DANCE!

+Quote Post
Mully
post Oct 23 2007, 12:51 AM
Post #32

Shark

That really sux have you figured out if its the type of braid or just the extreme suptleness thats the problem...
What are you doing different somethings messed up your good run

This post has been edited by Mully: Oct 23 2007, 12:52 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Oct 23 2007, 01:07 AM
Post #33

His Eminance

goldfish !

The 1st brand I ever used was the Nitlon that was in 10 lb class & still on that outfit & going good not that I use that rod much anymore

Since then I've used the Platyl which is supposed to be the best used Royal & one other brand cant think off

Even went out & bought a new spool of 4lb Nitlon last week thinking that brand is the go well that spool lasted all of one day spent most of the day plucking out the knots ended up re-spooling with mono.

I think a good mono is just as good & think most people do talk out of their arses when it comes down to braid & only boast about it because they have it.

If I think a product is overated then I'll say so dont need to big note it because I have some

I like & use SNDE mono & thats what I'll be respooling with.

By the way I took kkw with me on a trip down to Greenwell Pt the other week put a new reel on a rod for him to try out & ended up spooling it up with mono cause a brand new spool of braid was breaking like cotton & I'm not talking anout the knots either ask kk he'll tell ewe's the braid itself was snapping.

Recall earlier this year fishing for Mahi's SREVE was popping one fish after again bad braid & dont know what brand he was using think it was a K-Mart special not a joke it stuffs up your days fishing.

Oh by the way I have to admit kk outfished on that day using mono & thats a feat on it's own because he's bloody hopeless laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mully
post Oct 23 2007, 01:21 AM
Post #34

Shark

lol

yeah a lot is rubbish finding a decent one is the hard part..
I use both so I never push one or the other I love each for their own applications

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Oct 23 2007, 01:40 AM
Post #35

His Eminance

Yeah Mully !

Tell you what I've got no confidence in the lighter stuff anymore cause in the back of my mind when fighting a fish I'm thinking is the braid gonna pop & where ??

Dont have those woes with mono

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mully
post Oct 23 2007, 02:13 AM
Post #36

Shark

have you tried dyneema on the 6lb stuff mate??? not being a smart ass honestly want your opinions..I use dyneema or the climax braid and dont have much problems...I know you have converted back and I fully understand if I had that many problems id give it away also .... I honestly cannot figure out why ?????

Ill send you some dyneema lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mully
post Oct 23 2007, 02:15 AM
Post #37

Shark

whats your mono prefernace nowdays mate im a maxima man or the pre test platypussy in yellow I really like also...

my leader has changed to seaguar from 4lb to 12lb max any heavier I use my jenkai [love the stuff]

This post has been edited by Mully: Oct 23 2007, 02:16 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Oct 23 2007, 02:25 AM
Post #38

His Eminance

Mully all braeds have dyneema in there composition

Steve knows a bit more aboit it than me but from whar he rells me you cant get the 100% dyneema these days prob because it's to expensive

If you take note of labeling on any braid spool the name dyneema is used

Now I have a spool of Royal which says it's 100% dyneema but not so sure about that I'll dig up the spool when next on the boat

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mully
post Oct 23 2007, 02:35 AM
Post #39

Shark

now your taking the pee out of me ,,I know about dyneema being in all braids , i was talking pure stuff not the braid composites gel spuns etc etc etc ...
Although some gel spuns do help with air knots lol

This post has been edited by Mully: Oct 23 2007, 02:37 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Oct 23 2007, 03:02 AM
Post #40

His Eminance

Like I said Steve will be able to tell you better than me he's been using the stuff for a decade

Me only 12 months & not that impressed with it

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th August 2024 - 04:00 PM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates