Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sticking Metal
Christos
post Mar 3 2010, 12:41 PM
Post #1

Kokino Vraka

Group: Members

Member No.: 220

The last heading that I posted was Burning Metal. After reading that topic you would have understood what it meant.

Well this time it is Sticking Metal and yes you guessed it I am on Stick welding and the stick keeps sticking to the metal when I try to spark up. rolleyes.gif I have another week of practice with the stick welder then we move on to mig.

I was later told to turn up the amps and it should not stick. Well next week we shall see. biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Mar 3 2010, 01:37 PM
Post #2

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Christos @ Mar 4 2010, 07:41 AM) *
Well this time it is Sticking Metal

Just put sum chewing gum in between 2 pieces chistos, that'll do the twick hysterical.gif

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
nimrod
post Mar 3 2010, 05:17 PM
Post #3

Marlin

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 1,004

QUOTE (Christos @ Mar 4 2010, 07:41 AM) *
The last heading that I posted was Burning Metal. After reading that topic you would have understood what it meant.

Well this time it is Sticking Metal and yes you guessed it I am on Stick welding and the stick keeps sticking to the metal when I try to spark up. rolleyes.gif I have another week of practice with the stick welder then we move on to mig.

I was later told to turn up the amps and it should not stick. Well next week we shall see. biggrin.gif

Christos. Just a tip mate, a welding rod is made up of 2 components ( basically ) a core and a flux. What happens is you make a contact with the core onto the metal at the wrong angle/pressure/speed and a couple of other wrongs and the flux breaks away from the core of the rod.
Without the flux ( the brittle coating on the rod ) the metal ( for want of a better word ) has no shielding, the flux of a arc rod is similar to the gas with MiG TiG without it you simply don't get a weld.
Try this, hold the rod at more of an angle then the instructor tells you and sort of strike the rod onto the work piece as you would strike a match, quick side strikes rather then a pressure point contact. You will see a long line of sparks as you draw the rod along the steel/work piece, now half way through one of these long strikes ( the length could be as little as 1 inch ) pause the rod and apply downward pressure, just a fraction and then lift the rod ( about 1/8 inch ) off the work piece, ( all this must be done as one action, sort of speak ), there should be a arc and you should be able to do a weld. all settings must be correct and the workpiece be clean and well earthed.
What you are doing is creating a dead short of an electrical component to cause extreme temperatures
Jumpy would know what I am trying to say.....
If you think welding mild steel with rods is sticky, try welding Stainless Steel with arc rods.
It helps to create an ark with more power but not needed once you get used to it. A rod with blue in it, full blue flux or striped blue and grey flux are better rods to learn with ( more friendly ).

MIG welding is a piece of cake compared with stick/arc welding.
Good luck.

This post has been edited by nimrod: Mar 3 2010, 05:20 PM

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post
poly
post Mar 3 2010, 11:19 PM
Post #4

the yack man

Group: Donator

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (nimrod @ Mar 4 2010, 12:17 PM) *
Christos. Just a tip mate, a welding rod is made up of 2 components ( basically ) a core and a flux. What happens is you make a contact with the core onto the metal at the wrong angle/pressure/speed and a couple of other wrongs and the flux breaks away from the core of the rod.
Without the flux ( the brittle coating on the rod ) the metal ( for want of a better word ) has no shielding, the flux of a arc rod is similar to the gas with MiG TiG without it you simply don't get a weld.
Try this, hold the rod at more of an angle then the instructor tells you and sort of strike the rod onto the work piece as you would strike a match, quick side strikes rather then a pressure point contact. You will see a long line of sparks as you draw the rod along the steel/work piece, now half way through one of these long strikes ( the length could be as little as 1 inch ) pause the rod and apply downward pressure, just a fraction and then lift the rod ( about 1/8 inch ) off the work piece, ( all this must be done as one action, sort of speak ), there should be a arc and you should be able to do a weld. all settings must be correct and the workpiece be clean and well earthed.
What you are doing is creating a dead short of an electrical component to cause extreme temperatures
Jumpy would know what I am trying to say.....
If you think welding mild steel with rods is sticky, try welding Stainless Steel with arc rods.
It helps to create an ark with more power but not needed once you get used to it. A rod with blue in it, full blue flux or striped blue and grey flux are better rods to learn with ( more friendly ).

MIG welding is a piece of cake compared with stick/arc welding.
Good luck.

bugger, that's it I will leave it up to an expert

Paul

--------------------
bugger it's sold,got meself a house instead

+Quote Post
Fed
post Mar 3 2010, 11:50 PM
Post #5

*Mr Shiny Head*

Member No.: 7

If you had a welder and some scrap metal at home you'd be an expert in an hour Christos.
Have you had any flashes in your eyes yet?

--------------------

SEAFARER: Fine as a Fairy's Fart

+Quote Post
poly
post Mar 4 2010, 01:31 AM
Post #6

the yack man

Group: Donator

Member No.: 4

Fed,,, strippers are much better to look at,,, flashers, strange men in long coats YUCK

hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

Bugger did i wright that

Paul

--------------------
bugger it's sold,got meself a house instead

+Quote Post
Christos
post Mar 4 2010, 04:59 PM
Post #7

Kokino Vraka

Thanks Frank for the reply.

I will give that a go and see how that goes.

QUOTE (Fed @ Mar 4 2010, 06:50 PM) *
If you had a welder and some scrap metal at home you'd be an expert in an hour Christos.
Have you had any flashes in your eyes yet?

Not even close yet. I am trying very hard not to FLASH anyone. We are in our own enclosed area and use the curtain to close everything off.

First day was just safety class and we know about the little triangles. smile1.gif

Another interesting thing that I did last week was on the first time taking the stick out off the handle. I kept twisting the handle and you guessed it I pulled it apart. Took about 5 minutes to find the little spring and another few minutes to put it back together. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Christos
post Mar 4 2010, 05:01 PM
Post #8

Kokino Vraka

QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Mar 4 2010, 08:37 AM) *
Just put sum chewing gum in between 2 pieces chistos, that'll do the twick

I not going on your boat held together by gum.

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Mar 4 2010, 11:29 PM
Post #9

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

Leave your undies on christos else ewe'll get FLASH hysterical.gif

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
Fed
post Mar 5 2010, 01:13 PM
Post #10

*Mr Shiny Head*

Member No.: 7

Dry rods helps a bit too Christos, did they mention that?
They should have a little oven there to dry them out with.

--------------------

SEAFARER: Fine as a Fairy's Fart

+Quote Post
Christos
post Mar 5 2010, 03:08 PM
Post #11

Kokino Vraka

QUOTE (Fed @ Mar 6 2010, 08:13 AM) *
Dry rods helps a bit too Christos, did they mention that?
They should have a little oven there to dry them out with.

I am doing the course at Tafe and the rods that they use are from a new box. I think the shelf life is less then three months from the time that they got them to the next time another class uses them.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th June 2024 - 09:32 PM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates