> (refit Time) Side Consol Conversion For Open Boat
A pirate
post Aug 17 2011, 08:06 PM
Post #1

Jewfish

Group: Members

Member No.: 2,564

Hi All,

I have a new 2011 Yamaha 60Hp 4stroke on the way and im planning to change my Quintrex Hunter open boat from a tiller steer open boat into a side console open boat with forward and aft casting decks.

I have allowed about 1000-1200 for the whole job which includes the change over from tiller steer to side console. The refit will include the addition of casting decks front and rear, bolting in a side console, setting up the steering system and bolting on and wiring up the engine.

I can save some money by doing the jobs myself like building the casting decks, carpeting the decks, build the lockers and hatches, rewire the boat but I cant make the side console.

Does anyone know of a company that sells aluminum side consoles off the shelf or makes them regularly? Im assuming a one off commissioned job would be expensive. I am in sydney so prefer a sydney company so i can see the console but would look as far as QLD or VIC.

cheers
Andy

--------------------
A Pirate by name, A Pirate by nature!

I support FILLET and RELEASE!

Botany Bay PB's; nil to date
Port Hacking PB's; Flathead 47cm, Bream 36cm, Flounder 32cm (these are not big PB's but its a start)
Northern Australia PB's; Shark 1.6m(whaler), Spangled Emperor 60cm, Spanish Mackerel 1.45m
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fed
post Aug 17 2011, 11:08 PM
Post #2

*Mr Shiny Head*

Member No.: 7

I'd be finding a local sheet metal shop that works with aluminium and do a joint project.
That way you can do as little or as much of work as you want to yourself.
For me I'd measure up, get the sides guillotined up, get the front, top, back folded in one piece and get them to weld it together.
Somewhere in there you'll want a drill, grinder & jigsaw but all that stuff is handy to have and pretty cheap from Bunnings.

Pick Jumpy's brain for material size & grade and even design input like built in rod holders etc.

At least that way you will finish up with a really good & useful thing rather than a plastic fruit box with a hole in it for the steering wheel.
Probably work out cheaper than you thing too.

--------------------

SEAFARER: Fine as a Fairy's Fart

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Aug 18 2011, 02:04 AM
Post #3

His Eminance

Group: Administrators

Member No.: 2

I have allowed about 1000-1200 for the whole job which includes the change over from tiller steer to side console.

Think ewe better re-evalute that figure, what ewe want to pay & what it is going to cost are 2 very different things
A sheet of 3mm alloy alone is up around $300 mark & the person doing the job aint there for love he's there to make money & you're not going to get to many to do the job if you're trying to dictate the price.

2nd hand control box is up around the $500 mark add to that control cables, then steering etc etc etc Sheet of ply is up over $100 & you'll need more than one then you've got carpet etc etc etc

--------------------

Save The Fish, Eat a Pussy

+Quote Post
Fed
post Aug 18 2011, 02:31 PM
Post #4

*Mr Shiny Head*

If it's not too big you might get half of it out of offcuts Pirate, I think I'd be looking around for the 'right' shop around your area.
Surely there's some around Taren Point way.

--------------------

+Quote Post
A pirate
post Aug 18 2011, 07:09 PM
Post #5

Jewfish

The new 60hp comes with control box,key switch and gauges....the boat already has large side gunnels so just need the side console to be fabricated up and a steering system set up of some sort.
The rest I can and will do.

Roughly as the boat is now

--------------------

Port Hacking PB's; Flathead 47cm, Bream 36cm, Flounder 32cm (these are not big PB's but its a start)
Northern Australia PB's; Shark 1.6m(whaler), Spangled Emperor 60cm, Spanish Mackerel 1.45m

+Quote Post
poly
post Aug 18 2011, 11:46 PM
Post #6

the yack man

Group: Donator

Member No.: 4

if you are going to do a major refit, this is just an idea, why not close in the transom and mount the motor on a pod that would add more working space, maybe J.G. can tell us if that be done.

Paul

--------------------
bugger it's sold,got meself a house instead

+Quote Post
A pirate
post Aug 19 2011, 03:56 AM
Post #7

Jewfish

QUOTE (poly @ Aug 19 2011, 12:46 AM) *
if you are going to do a major refit, this is just an idea, why not close in the transom and mount the motor on a pod that would add more working space, maybe J.G. can tell us if that be done.

Paul

I was pondeing that and i did start to cost it but since i have large platforms on the rear id need a full custom pod job and then the dollars become an issue...wife has already approved a new engine and console but a pod would be pushing it.

The rear of my boat

Ive priced a few aluminum side consoles and looks like they range from 700-900.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Aug 19 2011, 04:19 AM
Post #8

His Eminance

Unless you're willing to spend the $$'s 4get the pod alot of work goes into doing them

Ive priced a few aluminum side consoles and looks like they range from 700-900.

Tried telling ewe budget aint big enough, may just look like a box to peeps but a fair bit of work goes into them

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fed
post Aug 19 2011, 04:02 PM
Post #9

*Mr Shiny Head*

I'd be thinking about a splashwell too Pirate.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nimrod
post Aug 19 2011, 04:05 PM
Post #10

Marlin

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 1,004

It's a shame I can't get my T I G machine working properly, for thick stainless Steel it's magic, but just can't seem to get it to weld alloy.
I have a couple of sheets of alloy sitting/waiting for such work jobs but without the T I G I have to rely on my M I G machine and they don't do as pretty a job as T I G.
IF Jumpy knew someone who would bend and weld it for you, as I say I have plenty of sheet here, maybe we could work something out to help you and save you a few dollars.

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post
nimrod
post Aug 19 2011, 04:15 PM
Post #11

Marlin

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 1,004

Come to think about it. I just recently finished a project boat for a young mate of mine and I put a new centre console in that for him.
He MAY still have his old console, which only needed minor repairs and a clean up, OR carpeted, and it would be fine.
Would you like me to see if he still has it ? I could take some photos and you could save heaps of $$$$$.
Maybe it would need a little converting to fully suit your boat, but I could fix and modify it with not too much trouble.

--------------------
Frank

Keep it wet

+Quote Post
poly
post Aug 19 2011, 10:37 PM
Post #12

the yack man

Group: Donator

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Fed @ Aug 20 2011, 10:02 AM) *
I'd be thinking about a splashwell too Pirate.

a good idea Fed, if not a pod then a splash well, you may loose a little bit of space, but it will make the boat that much safer in rough conditions.

the other thing is to build a flat floor.

if you have the skill to build the casting beck's then why not build the console from marine ply and encase it in fibreglass???????????

plus its ezzy for us to sit here and think of ways to spend your budget laugh.gif

Paul

--------------------
bugger it's sold,got meself a house instead

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Aug 19 2011, 11:10 PM
Post #13

His Eminance

QUOTE (nimrod @ Aug 20 2011, 10:05 AM) *
IF Jumpy knew someone who would bend and weld it for you, as I say I have plenty of sheet here, maybe we could work something out to help you and save you a few dollars.

Jumpy hasn't been motivated to do re mods on his own boats which have been in the wind for last year or so

He's definately not going to run around for other peeps

Think i'm over it all these days

--------------------

+Quote Post
A pirate
post Aug 20 2011, 02:45 AM
Post #14

Jewfish

im sure my budget can move up BUT it will do so only if i have to ...everyone needs to set a ceiling and re-evaluate it there after.

Im thinking;
800 for a console
250 steering
200 labour
150 marine ply
80 carpet
80 wiring/ switches (recycle sone of the old gear)
40 odds and ends
(I do have quite a few bits and pcs at home already for the job)

so maybe $1600 is more likely the spend which is ok i can cover that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
A pirate
post Aug 20 2011, 02:48 AM
Post #15

Jewfish

a good idea Fed, if not a pod then a splash well, you may loose a little bit of space, but it will make the boat that much safer in rough conditions.

the other thing is to build a flat floor.

if you have the skill to build the casting beck\'s then why not build the console from marine ply and encase it in fibreglass???????????

plus its ezzy for us to sit here and think of ways to spend your budget laugh.gif

Paul

The boat already has a low flat floor in good condition...so just need to add casting decks extending over the front and rear thwarts.

I want an ally side console as wood would end up too heavy.

Ive found a few consoles ill post up.

$730 gets you this inc steering (New)

$850 get you this which i really like and would probably cut down to suit if i get it inc steering

http://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sa...brand-new/77069

This post has been edited by A pirate: Aug 20 2011, 03:07 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jumpus GooDarus
post Aug 20 2011, 05:23 AM
Post #16

His Eminance

150 marine ply
80 carpet

2 items you'vewell & truly under estimated esp on the carpet
$80 will only get you 1 linial meter if you buy from retail outlet

Go to Nolans Warehouse they're in alexandria you'll get it alot cheaper there
Honestly would not waste my time using ply, source out alloy 3mm thick & you wont have to worry about having to replace it a few years down the track.

Same tools [circular saw] to cut as the ply just set blade only 6 - 10mm depth this will allow you to cutin a circular /radius to follow shape of hull make sure you wax cut line

--------------------

+Quote Post
A pirate
post Aug 20 2011, 04:14 PM
Post #17

Jewfish

QUOTE (Jumpus GooDarus @ Aug 20 2011, 05:23 AM) *
2 items you'vewell & truly under estimated esp on the carpet
$80 will only get you 1 linial meter if you buy from retail outlet

Go to Nolans Warehouse they're in alexandria you'll get it alot cheaper there
Honestly would not waste my time using ply, source out alloy 3mm thick & you wont have to worry about having to replace it a few years down the track.

Same tools [circular saw] to cut as the ply just set blade only 6 - 10mm depth this will allow you to cutin a circular /radius to follow shape of hull make sure you wax cut line

thanks JG for the heads up and pointing me in the direction of cheaper carpet...ill go and have a look.

(I do have quite a few bits and pcs at home already for the job)
1/2 a sheet of marine ply and carpet was the items i have as well as 1/2 roll of wire a few switches and a pile of stainless screws and other bits and pcs.

This post has been edited by A pirate: Aug 20 2011, 04:15 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
A pirate
post Aug 20 2011, 04:17 PM
Post #18

Jewfish

QUOTE (nimrod @ Aug 19 2011, 04:15 PM) *
Come to think about it. I just recently finished a project boat for a young mate of mine and I put a new centre console in that for him.
He MAY still have his old console, which only needed minor repairs and a clean up, OR carpeted, and it would be fine.
Would you like me to see if he still has it ? I could take some photos and you could save heaps of $$$$$.
Maybe it would need a little converting to fully suit your boat, but I could fix and modify it with not too much trouble.

If you dont mind or if its no hassle pics of the old console would be nice .... may be an option.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fed
post Aug 20 2011, 05:24 PM
Post #19

*Mr Shiny Head*

Any particular reason to go side console over centre console Pirate?
The only reason I ask is that I've never been a big fan of side consoles.

--------------------

+Quote Post
A pirate
post Aug 20 2011, 07:15 PM
Post #20

Jewfish

QUOTE (Fed @ Aug 20 2011, 06:24 PM) *
Any particular reason to go side console over centre console Pirate?
The only reason I ask is that I've never been a big fan of side consoles.

Being a smaller boat 4.7m Ill loose too much of the deck space if i go center console....my hull did come out in a center console called the Quintrex Reef. I had a good look over one and there is bugger all deck space left to do anything in.

Ive also driven quite a few boats in my time being a commercial skipper both center and side console and end of the day I feel (starboard) side console will allow me the best of all worlds... a console to mount radios, switches etc, to be able to drive from while seated and still see where your going, effective use of deck space and weight distribution (As you can see in the top pic my boat has a port side weight issue due to mounted fuel tanks that cannot be relocated and a few other heavy items).

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th August 2024 - 10:34 PM
Fishing Oz Style

Fishing, Boating,Camping

Mates